A&P I am debating a different lens

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by wizeguy4, Oct 2, 2008.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I currently have the 18-200 sigma OS lens and I dont have no complaints whatsoever. But I also have the 70-200 f2.8L IS so the majority of what this lens can do, I have a much better suited option.

So I have been debating on selling it for a different lens. I am currently things of 2 options

The Tammy 17-50 f2.8
    Sigma 24-70 f2.8

I like that the sigma closes the gaps up better but I lose a bit off my wide that I currently have (6mm)

the Tammy gives me the wide but I lose a decent middle of 20mm. Not like I would not be able to crop if I needed to be in more. Both are in teh same price range. Sigma is coming out with an HSM version of this lens but I call and they have no info excpet that it might be out by Spring as it has not even madeit to production stages yet. I am not trying to wait that long.

are either of these 2 lenses going to give me a better IQ than what I currently have? Obviously since mine is a 3.5-6.3, I would gain on speed. and honestly the 18-70 portion of the lens is in the neighborhood of 3.5-4.3.

I know that if I sold my lens, I could easily get either of these. Or is there a better option

2. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Out of those 2, I would get Tamron. You can always foot zoom the 20mm difference in most situations, but you won't be able to foot zoom to go wide when there's a wall behind you.

Also, the perspective difference between 17mm and 24mm is greater than between 50mm and 70mm.

3. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

Dude, I'm sorry, but it's the same pet peeve. Double negatives.

4. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

i have the tamron 28-75, and i would rather have the 17-50 most of the time :o

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I thought about the 28-75 but I think that might take too much from my wide angle.

another option os the Canon 17-85 IS USM, but does not have the wide aperature

6. tetsuo

i had a copy of the sigma 24-70 before the tamron. it had horrid focusing issues, so i got a refund on it and got the tamron. i would still rather have a 17-50 than the sigma. you can always crop to help make up those 20mm, but you can't make up the wide end a lot of time. :dunno:

7. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

this has been my thinking on why I have always leaned toward the tamron, just chicken shit to go forward with it and drop my sigma.

I was hoping to get turbodude in here, I think he uses a trio of sigma lens, the 24-70 being one of them

8. tetsuo

actually, i believe he has the 18-50, 50-150, and the 120-300. i know girth had a sigma 24/8-70.

9. cgper

cgper OT Supporter

go for the tamron, the sigma has issues and not to mention has a huge front element which means more expensive filters. and the lens itself is pretty big if thats a concern for you