I am Building this....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mr. texas, Sep 7, 2004.

1. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

2. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Hum... IMHO...

I will not go with the socket 775 at this point. Newer chipsets will come out later this year and you will begin to see the benefit and potential of it then...

For now I had put my money in socket 478 still. Also 512MB of ram is just not enough, (for me at least). On top of that, I will stay away from Prescott til the end of the year.

So, here is what I will recommand and what I just put together last 2 week or so, and I would recommand the same to you.

ASUS P4P800 E-deluxe
    P4 3.0Ghz - C (Northwood, 512KB) - I got mine to run at 3.6Ghz stock V core, with a Zalman heatsink
    1GB of RAM (2X 512MB stick from known brand) PC3200 will do if you ain't gonna overclock

Get yourself a decent CD-RW/DVD combo drive, or better yet, get yourself a DVD-RW, the price had came down the the point that it's not even worth it to get a read only drive unless you use it as a secondary optical drive.

Forget about the Floppy cable, the one came with the mobo will do just fine, you just need to know how to fold all your cables that's all.

Oh, and of course, since you won't be getting a PCI Express videocard, I had recommand something like the 9800Pro or 9600 XT both 128MB, you are unlikely to see the benefit of having 256MB of video ram til you have a fast enough GPU to go with it.

In short, spending money on the latest MOBO/CPU/RAM is not an very economical thing to do. After a year or so, you probably won't be able to do much upgrade with the MOBO/CPU/RAM that you listed here. Because a new CPU is likely gonna need a faster RAM and perhaps a new mobo with newer chipsets on them. Therefore get something decent now, and if you need to upgarde in the future, upgrade them all.

3. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

why wouldnt i want to go with a 478 prescott if i do the same mobo you have? it has 1mb of cache.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Just an opinion... I would not use that 160 gig as the master drive. Do you really think that you will need that much space on the system drive? I would buy a smaller 40-60gig drive for the system drive and use that 160 gig for data and whatever else. That's how mines setup... Just MHO

5. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

For a few reasons...

1. It runs hot, and they don't overclock very well. So, if you want a quiet computer or would like to overclock, the Northwood is actually betteer.

2. The performance difference between the Northwood and Prescott at 3.0Ghz is very small. While in theory 1MB of L2 cache > 512KB L2 cache, the architecture of the Prescott is different from the Northwood, and it needs a much higher clockspeed than 3.0Ghz to gain noticable performance over the Northwood.

Basically the socket 478 Prescott is a transitional product, and the brand new socket 775 Prescott or rather the current socket 775 platform with PCI Express had not yet matured. So, I had stay away from them.

Personally, yes I do overclock, so of course I went with the Northwood and very glad that I did. It is actually harder to find the Northwood around here and everyone was trying to convince me that the Prescott is better. But I beg to differ.

6. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Very good point, but just another thought...

If he actually got the i925 mobo, I think the SATA had an 1+0 mode. Which basically allows you to mix raid 0 and raid 1. While that could've been done in Linux years ago already. It's an nice option for Windows user /w hardware support.

So, I had say grab 2 160GB drive, mirror 40GB on each drive and strip the rest. (back up religously on the RAID 0 partition thought)

p.s. I won't recommand anything less than 120GB now, in fact 160GB and 200GB are the most economical choice now.

7. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

i was doing this becasue i plan to purcahse 2 WD raptor 10K drives and stripe them for the OS and programs. i will then use the 160GB for storage.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Gotcha...

9. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

10. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

11. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well I got the same MOBO, CPU, and the OCZ ram just because Corsair would've taken longer for me to get.

Now... that should actually cost cheaper than the previous setup won't it?

12. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

no, it is actually $100 more expensive because like i said my budget is $1000. i upgraded the quality of my ram and video card. so it has come out the same price. still think i should do this setup?

13. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Cliff: Yes, but shop around for better prices

Well to begin with... you got more RAM, I think if anyone plans to run XP and do multimedia stuff with it, e.g. game, photoshop, videoedit, and stuff.... 1GB of RAM is a must. For example if you do play games like Farcry, Doom 3, your HD will thank you, because the amount of swapping is gonna be crazy, and in the long run will save your HD and in return save your data (more or the less)

I would also believe that the 9800 pro will out perform the X300 as it should.

But the number that I actually worked out. My setup will actually cost a bit less.

Unless I am missing something here the socket 775 mobo cost way more than the P4P800 E-deluxe. That pretty much offsets the price difference between the videocards. The RAM and the CPU will cost pretty much the same depends on where you look. Perhaps shop around more?

Anyhow, for the same price I had go for more RAM, and a better videocard. The overclocking potential of the 3.0C is just a bonus, if you don't want to overlock you can get the 3.0E prescott, in many places it actually cost less than than the Northwood. With more RAM the system WILL out perform the socket 775 system.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004