I am building a computer from scratch, need help with parts!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wongerbonger, Nov 28, 2003.

1. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

I am buying an Enermax Mid Tower ATX case w/ a 350 W power supply (the one from the Fry's Ad)

It has :

- front usb ports
    - four (4) 5.25" and two (2) 3.5" external bays
    - four (4) 3.5" internal bays
    - enermax 250w intel pentium 4 and amd athlon xp approved

could anyone clue me in on what parts i need.. and what parts are good to use..
    this will be my first time attempting this, also i'm going to be taking bits and pieces from my Dell Dimension 8250...i'll be taking the : - dvd-player drive, - dvd burner drive, 60 gb hard drive, 80 gb hard drive, ati raedon tv card

what will i need to finish my computer?

- motherboard
    - soundcard
    - videocard ?

also, what can i do with four 5.25" external bays or the two 3.5" ones? anything interesting, like a lcd screen ors omething? also, if i have four internal bays, can i fit four hard drives on my computer??

i'm a n00b at this, but im trying to learn

2. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

You'll want to add "CPU" and "memory" to that list :hs:

As far as interesting things you can do in your spare bays, sure you can put LCD screens in and what not. I think they are the equivalent of ricing out your computer, but whatever floats your boat. If you really want an LCD screen, search for "matrix orbital".. they make nice ones.

Yes you can add a HD to basically any bay in your computer. If you want to add one in a 5.25" bay, then you need an adapter (available at any computer store for just a few bucks) but you will want to avoid doing this, simply because the hard drive will get no airflow in a 5.25" bay. Most cases are laid out to give airflow to the HDs if they are in the normal 3.5" bays.

There's also alot of other things I would recommend doing. I would ebay those two HDs you have already, and buy one big, fast, quiet drive like a Seagate 160GB w/ 8MB cache. This means less heat, less cabling, easier to setup, etc.

As far as CPU, RAM, and motherboard go, I recommend Abit NF7-s motherboard with either an AMD 1800 or AMD Barton core 2500 with a respected brand of memory like Crucial, Kingston, Mushkin, etc. If you want say, 512MB of RAM, make sure to get two 256 sticks because you want to run "dual channel" which gives you more memory bandwidth.

Also I would recommend getting a different case. If you feel like dropping the coin, I would recommend Antec SLK3700BQE, or if you are a little cheaper, Evercase 4252-AB and a Forton P300XFPN power supply. Also I recommend Newegg, SVC, Monarch and a few others to buy from... good luck ;)

3. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

thanks for the help..

about the HDs, i'm leaving one in the computer for my sister and im taking my 80gb one into my new comp.. just because it has all my stuff on it.. and then i bought the 160gb western digital from Fry's..

why would u reccommend a different case? I like the one i got and its only $9

4. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

airflow

with all those hard drives, if you don't have good airflow, you will cook or shorten the lifespan of at least one of them. Alot of people combat this by putting in a shiatload of extra fans, IMHO that's not a good solution because it tries to cure the symptom instead of resolving the cause of the problem. Plus it's hellaciously loud.

5. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

does the enermax not have good airflow into the case? Also, i changed my mind and since i got teh 160gb HD. I'm only going to have two HD's in my desktop..

also

good mobo?

6. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

I dunno, you'd have to post a model number to look at. Here's what good airflow looks like:

[​IMG]

See how open that front grill is? Also see how the HDs sit right in the path of the airflow? That's important IMHO especially when you're using WD and Maxtor drives which get a little toasty. As far as the mobo, I don't know, not really an Intel guy :hs:

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Good guide to PC building can be found here.

8. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

:bowdown:

thanks for the help

wow.. i posted a question on OT, and i got actual help! :eek3:

9. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

blindsight,

for the matrix orbital, which one would i order to fit in place of the floppy drive?

10. Blindsight

Blindsight Guest

11. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties