SRS I am a alcoholic

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BBQ Monster, May 10, 2005.

1. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

Well, this is my first post here in this section. And, I have decided to go to a AA meeting. I am scared and I was wondering if AA meetings actually helped anyone in here. And will me being 20 have any affect on the help I get?

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  2. metoots13

metoots13 New Member

Welcome, most of us here have found it helpful to go to 12 step meetings. You can read some of our stories in the thread of my story, it might get you connected. There are lots of 20 year olds in the meetings I go to, some kids as young as 15 or so, and people older than 70. If you don't like the first meeting, please try a different one, I usually suggest to people that they go to a lot of different ones so they can find one that they like. Sometimes you find a meeting that you like right away, but not always. Come back to RtoR for help and support too. I've got 3-1/2 years, Demon has 3-1/2 +, and the rest have more or less. I've found the key for me is to relate and listen for the similarities and realize that I'm not the only one with a problem, it makes it a little easier to know I'm not all alone. Keep coming back.

3. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

Thanks, looking forward to gettin my life back together. It makes me feel better too know I am not a lone.

4. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

Hey there - I was 19 when I first stepped in the rooms. I have almost 3.5 years clean & sober now as a result. It definitely helped me! What are you scared of in particular? It takes a lot of courage to step through the doors but once you do, its way easier than you would think. Did you read the stickies on what happens inside a meeting?

5. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Meetings and the program have helped me figure out who I am and helped me to enjoy life. These are the rewards of staying sober and utilizing the help that is freely given in recovery. They are better than I ever could have imagined. I walked through the doors at the age of 21, I knew I had a problem for years before but could never really get honest with myself until then. I now have 16 months sober, and am learning more about myself as time goes on.

It's natural to be scared, read the sticky about what goes on inside a meeting. Also, if you have someone you trust and who cares about you, maybe they could come with you to your first meeting. Good luck, and keep us posted!

6. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

I read everything in the stickies. The stickies are what gave me the courage to walk threw those doors. I was scared, I mean terrified actually. I thought I would be judged, but know one judged me, they welcomed me and told me that now that I know I have a problem, and am taking the first steps in acknowledging my problem, I can start to recover. I found out also, once an alcoholic, always a alcoholic, well not always once I am better and I get through this, I will be so proud to say I am a recovered alcoholic. I am just proud because today I was sober, and I actually decided it was time to get my life together and quite hurting the ones I love. Thanks for all this guys, I mean I am looking forward to having a life with out alcohol.

7. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:eek3: sounds like you really got a lot out of it. Keep going and listening to what the people in there have to say... honestly we alcoholics can relate to other alcoholics really well. I think you're on the right track... they say "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic" to just emphasize that we don't learn to "drink responsibly". You can say "recovering alcoholic" of course, and it has different meaning, but its not a negative thing, its simply just that we don't ever want to delude ourselves into thinking we can drink like other people.

Right on though!

8. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

Thanks my next meeting is today, I am going to something called Animal House. Any of you guys know what that is? All everyone told me was that I should go to it.

9. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Cool! Right on, good to hear the forum helped you out. Usually each particular meeting has a different title. Animal House is likely just the name of a meeting in Odessa. I'm from CA, I've been to NY and actually to Odessa, but not when I was sober. Tell them it's your second meeting and you're looking for a sponsor. A sponsor will answer many little questions you have about the program and eventually you can work the steps with them.

10. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

Okay can do thanks a whole lot guys.

11. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

You can IM me too if you have more questions
    AIM = animalholie

12. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

Animal house was so much fun... It was basically a AA meeting that was not so structured. It had some funny rules too, like everyone has to share, and if you say fuck 7 times you have to switch chairs with someone. I enjoyed it so much.

13. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

I went to an AA meeting, and it made me feel much worse than I did before. I think I went out an partied afterwards. I sat there and listened to true alcoholics, you wouldn't believe the stuff I heard, but I was just a normal college kid with a DUI and court ordered AA. I believe if you really want to quit, just do it. Do it for yourself, do it for your family, and everyone else. I don't think I was an alcoholic, but was getting there, and I cut down drastically. I did it myself though, and had no problems. I realize that some people need help, but others don't. It's up to you to decide. Go to a meeting and see what it's like. If it helps, keep it up. If not, do it for yourself. You're the only one who can truly change you, not anyone else.

14. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

It is true that alcoholics require a desire to quit drinking to actually get sober and do the deal. However, real alcoholics will find it very difficult to quit on their own, the only thing that can help them is the steps and a support group.

You didn't really give it a chance, and you said you weren't an alcoholic. Please don't come in here and say meetings don't work, or some alcoholics don't need them. It isn't your place to make comments like that. It's obvious you don't understand alcoholism or addiction, please do not post any more comments like "if you really want to, you'll fix yourself, you don't need AA." Take that somewhere else, posting support for others is more than welcome though. One more thing, please read the rules.

15. BBQ Monster

BBQ Monster New Member

I think these meetings benefit everyone. I mean, the way I see it is, everyone can be helped they have to be willing to except they have a problem and take action. Actions speak louder than words do. I think if Negative Ions gave it another chance it would work. The AA meetings are not going to make you feel peachy keen, but you know you are not alone. I have been helped so much since I started. My path is still going to be rocky, it only gets harder from here, but at least I have people in AA that will help and talk to me and the people here on OT/:)

16. Negative Ions

Negative Ions New Member

I didn't say the meetings don't work. I merely said they weren't for everyone. I just don't understand why everyone pushes going to the meetings so much. Fine, go to one, and if it helps keep going, but they aren't for everyone.

17. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

You do realize it's not anywhere NEAR normal for a college kid to have a DUI, right? One of the main signs of addiction is continuing to use despite adverse consequences. You got in trouble for getting drunk, so you got drunk, see what I mean?

18. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

Keep going if it's working for you. I got in the rooms the first time when I was 13, I needed it, but didn't want it, so I didn't stick around. I've been sober over 3 years now, and am 20. Something I tell all newcomers, and you included. Give it a shot for a couple months, if you don't like it, booze is still gonna be there. If you have any doubts that you're an alcoholic, go out and try some controlled drinking. Leave a beer or a shot half full after you've had a couple. Do it a few times, see what happens. Go to as many meetings as possible, it's suggested to go daily and that would help you but who knows what you're willing to do, talk to some people, hang out with some people.

19. pmenard

pmenard Guest

Alcoholism & Drug Addiction Alternatives
    Recovery alternatives to alcohol and drug addiction.There are vast amounts of information out there on the whole "recovery" process from alcohol and drugs. With this vast information, I believe, we often lose sight of what matters most. Alcohol and drug use is a painful business. Because of the pain and struggle involved we may search endlessly for the one cause or cure to end the madness. We become afraid, and through this fear cling to any shred of evidence we can find to lift us from our state. Is there one way to succeed in "recovery"? Who is right? Who is wrong? When it is all said and done, it does not matter which path you take to end alcohol or drug addiction. It's your choice, your life. Find a way. There is hope and there are alternatives to current thinking of addiction. My goal is to keep it real. I will only talk from experience. I've seen what can work and I know the potential each human has and can choose to use, if the desire is there and the right information and motivation is available. I must emphasize that I believe in the value of each person, and like myself, each must come to terms with who they are, what they desire, and their own way of finding it.

Recovery alternatives to alcohol and drug addiction Ebooks

20. selfpollution

selfpollution New Member

I am a recovering alcoholic and I agree completely with what Negative Ions said. AA and 12 step recovery is NOT the only path to sobriety or recovery, it just happens to be the most common one, at least in our society. Negative, do whatever it is you need to do to get your shit together, whether it be AA or not, just don't write it off so quickly, it is very hard to take in the begininning, I understand, most addicts are pretty rebellious and critically minded people that don't take to re socialization or behavior modification very easily. Give it an honest shot, if it doesn't work there are quite a few other options.

Peace