I always questioned Paint Cleaners/Oxidations

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by LocoStrange, Jun 21, 2008.

1. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

Until I detailed my fathers mini van today. Imagine a minivan, in Chicago, since 96. The only washes it had was either a few times during winter at the car wash to remove salt, OR it cleaning itself during a rain storm. However, it did spend most of the its time in a garage. Surprisingly, it was not THAT bad compared to some of the horror stories that I have seen here.

Anyways, back to the topic. I am still an amateur when it comes to detailing and I do thinks by hand, not a buffer. However, maybe it is because I kept my car very clean but I always questioned Paint Cleaners and its oxidation properties until I washed that mini van. Right now, that van looks almost brand new if it wasnt for all the scratches and bumps and what-nots.

The stupid thing took almost 5 hours to detail. Washed it, air dryed it since I was lazy and it was sunny :rofl:. Clayed, Meguires Step 1 Paint Cleaner, Meguirers #7 (or whatever Polish). And then Ultimate Paint Protection Sealant. After it dries, I am going to apply another layer.

Also, I used the Paint Cleaner today on my car, the Mustang, since I was wondering why it stop showing its 3 colors (depending on where the light shines) and I guess whatever was causing it, was also removed by the Cleaner...so its back to looking like its very first detail :)

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Real eye opener when you learn that the polish and not the wax is responsible for most of the shine, eh?

3. LocoStrange

LocoStrange New Member

I was very surprised :rofl:

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Nice work, Loco. First hand experience is always the best.

BTW - did you take any pics of your handy work. I'm sure the before/after differences are amazing.