SRS I always feel so shitty about myself

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Marmitha, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Marmitha

Marmitha Milk ftw

It's been getting worse lately and I always thought the root of the problem was my ex. I felt so bad around him and most of the time he made me feel like shit. He's gone now and i feel even worse than I've ever felt before. I look at myself in the mirror and I really hate what I see, I listen to myself talk and realize I'm not all that smart either. I don't have a great personality and when it comes down to it I have nothing going for me. I've tried so much stuff to improve the type of person I am, but regardless of what I do I'm ashamed to go out in public sometimes. My head up and proud...never happens, I walk around with my head down and constantly compare myself to other people who are doing way better in life than me. It's starting to get really pathetic now and I just want to get myself out of this self loathing loop I'm stuck in. What can I do :sad2:? I'm sure this is nothing new, and a lot of people feel this way about themselves, especially girls. But I just need help, or someone to take me in the right direction.

2. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Talk to a therapist you have some self esteem issues to get over first

3. Roasted

Roasted New Member

Setting goals for yourself helps a lot. What are you not happy about? Maybe it's your job, maybe it's your weight, maybe you want to hook up again, etc. Try to look at each of those things and than get off your ass to do something about it. Start applying for other jobs, take some courses, join a gym, join a club to meet people, etc. Whatever it is that you're trying to improve about your situation. It won't happen overnight but at least you'll know you're working towards bettering your situation instead of crying about it.

4. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

you have to for sure. i would suggest not dating anyone for a while because you will end up with someone like ur ex until you get therapy. by the way hows your relationship with your dad? I know its a stupid question but it really effects what kind of guys you look for.

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

:werd: you are probably attracted to guys that are mentally abusive b/c you have low self esteem...you need to work on that before you get involved with anyone

6. Marmitha

Marmitha Milk ftw

my dad is really the most amazing dad in the world, i have no complaints about him whatsoever. I've only been in one relationship, and the choices I made although dumb at times, I ultimately made the right one. I don't plan on having a bf or any sort of relationship with a guy for a really long time because I don't want to get caught up in all that stuff just yet. I'm not the type of chick that would intentionally date an asshole. I'm really into nice guys, which was what attracted me to my ex. When i figured he wasn't who I thought he was, I cut things off completely.

I do go to the gym and I have two jobs, and I'm moving forward in life..to an extent. Regardless of all the good things that happen to me, I still hate myself for something, but I cant seem to put my finger on it :( The problem with going to therapy is explaining my issues to my parents might be a problem because they will freak out.

7. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

you have to go to therapy or your life wont be nearly as good. You don't "intentionally" pick bad guys you do it subconsciously. You dont realize there bad until later on. go get help

8. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Why will they freak out? Tell them you are just trying to better yourself it has nothing to do with them failing as parents

9. Roasted

Roasted New Member

Ok, sounds like you have a lot to be happy about and it's just a general depression issue. My bad. I'm kind of surprised people suggest a "therapist" on here so quickly. I don't really know anyone that dealt with a therapist. Maybe it's a lot more common than I thought (?). Anyways, since it sounds like you're getting out of the house once in a while I don't think you're that bad, at least not yet. Maybe this is just one of those spurs where you start questioning every aspect of your life and it depresses you. Everyone goes through that once in a while. Was that brakeup very recent? If so, this could be some leftover fallout from that and it will pass. Like you said though, you have a lot going for you and you are moving forward in life. Quit comparing yourself to people who are doing better and try to realize that a lot of people are doing much worse too. When that happens to me I just try to focus my energy on some hobbies and on productive activities in my life to keep me busy and eventually those feelings pass. If things get worse though than it's more serious and yes, at that point you might be thinking about a therapist.