I almost when down saturday.. (on the rain)

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Esp69st, May 29, 2005.

1. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

the weather have been really shitty here in boston. this weekend the sun came out a few times so I decided to go for a ride. it got cloudy all of a sudden and I said "ah fuck it I'm riding" so I picked up the bike and went on my way.... within 10 minutes of riding the biggest rain storm of the year started to hit hard, raining cats and dogs, I was close to my aunts house so I stayed until it stopped raining. about an hour later its stopped raining so I came out, wipe the bike clean, and decided to continue my riding. so riding a few twisties, I usually average about 68-70 miles per hours on the twisties, speed limit is 30 mph. I'm hitting a really sharp turn, I held it at 55 mph to be exact. I came completely off the bike, my ass was literally sitting on the left pegged, obviously the more you get of the bike the less leaning... so I started going through the curve when all of a sudden the front tire drifted and within .000001 second the rear started to drift as well. I say I probably slid about 2 feet off course. I'm telling you seen yourself sliding looking straight at the trees and bushes is not fun at all... I decided to let the bike do what ever it wanted to do. so I held my throttle, tried to bring the bike up, but I was still heading towards the guard rail, I could've smell the grass, by now I'm riding on the white line on the road, I say I came about 8 inches close to come off the rode. then I tried to bring the bike back down again and it fish tail one more time, by one now I'm not leaning much so I let the gas go a little when I was coming off the curve, riding the entire turn on the white lane near the guard rail. as soon as I had the bike straight up, I said to myself WTF just happened. I didn't get scare at all, but after I got nervous.

I feel that I'm lucky, thanks god I didn't crash, but my little bit of skill help.

the only reason why I tried this is because, I'm going to the track for my first time this thursday, and the weather have been soooooo shitty, if it rains I'm losing my money, I'm not going to risk myself or the bike racing on the rain, seriously. I want to have fun a the track.. instead of being scare everytime I hit a turn...

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  2. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Man, I'd go to the track day anyway. You don't have to go fast, and it will still be a learning experience.

3. Esp69st

yeah bro I hear yaa..!! but since it's my first time at the track, I want it to be a good learning experience I want to be able to open up. I really don't want to restrict myself because of the rain... I reather waste $200 than $500 deductible+more then a month without a bike+having to deal with the insurance... I look at it like this there will be more track days in the future... ...I'm just :x:er

4. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I had similar experience couple of days ago. It had just stopped raining and roads were still a little wet. I was getting onto an interstate, as I entered the on ramp at about 50mph (i usually go through it at about 70+) I leaned properly and noticed that on ramp was little too wet so I used the torque to slow me down, but as soon as I let off the gas the rear tire started losing traction. The rear tire slipped for few feet and than went back to normal. As I was getting out of the turn I gave it a little gas the bike lost traction again, but I rolled back the throttle a little and controlled it.
    BTW I was in 2nd gear at about 7-8K rpms...?

5. Esp69st

it's amazing how I handle the situation, I didn't get nervous, as soon as I started drifting I knew that letting go of the gas wasn't a good thing.

6. McCroskey

McCroskey Jonny, what can you make out of this? OT Supporter

Good job catching it and keeping it rubber side down :bigthumb:

7. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

dude, the weather is looking great for thursday ... just show up!

i'll smack you over the side of the head if you dont' show ...

8. Esp69st

dude,, I'm there already... :mamoru:

9. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Active Member

i just want to comment on how you didnt "get nervous"

i, as of yet, do not have my license or my own bike, but have been riding on and off for about 7 years, whenever i get a big itch to ride, or my friends (by some miracle) all get together for a ride, my bud has a spare R6 he lets me ride (03 limited, really good friend)

but at any rate, one of the first few times I went out riding with all of them , I got in a small puddle riding down some residential streets that had sprinklers...put too much on the throttle and the back end got really squirly...

weirdest thing happened to me, i didnt get scared, i wasnt nervous, its like i KNEW what to do when it happend...its bee quite a while since it happend so I don't remember exactly how i handled the situation...but I remember b/c of how I felt...not scared/nervous, or anything like that...it just...'was'...like i knew what to do...

its funny b/c when i get into a sticky situation w/ a car (very rare/heavy heavy high speed traffic) i get really nervous and tense up, but not so on a bike...