MMA I agree with this. Winner of Nog/Sylvia should be #1

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Optamix, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Optamix

Optamix New Member

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles.asp?n_id=11017

At the risk of crashing the mail servers, the winner of Sylvia-Nogueira should get penciled in as the sport's top big guy. Granted, Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) packed Nogueira's lunch on two (and a half) occasions, and Randy Couture (Pictures) made Sylvia look like a malfunctioning cyborg. But with both of those men in some kind of weird, Steve Rogers-esque suspended animation -- Couture for contractual reasons while Emelianenko is being treated by M-1 Global as if he were made of glass -- it's unfair to award either guy any measure of indefinite honors.

Sylvia is an impressive 8-3 in the Octagon, a two-time champion who never once got the benefit of a squash match. Nogueira finished two men (Mirko "Cro Cop" and Semmy Schilt (Pictures)) that Emelianenko couldn't, and he split meetings with the one man (Josh Barnett (Pictures)) that remains a glaring omission on the Russian's record.

It's fine for Couture and his hypothetical adversary to prioritize administrative decisions that make sense for their careers, but business shouldn't be a factor in rankings. Sylvia and Nogueira are out there running the gauntlet. They deserve the recognition afforded to fighters who negotiate their standing with their fists, not their tax returns.

2. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

if sylvia is gonna get ranked #1 for winning this fight, i don't see it, he lost last year, then he hugged his way to a decision with vera. and nog fought once last year. so if that gets you ranked numero uno in the heavyweight division, then why are we paying attention to this division.

3. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Thats kind of the point of the article.

But "hugging your way to a win" is a win still. Vera didn't do a whole lot in that fight either.

4. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

Timmah is right. You win you win, if Vera was better than Tim, he could have outhugged him or avoided the clinch and strike from the outside. There are ways to counter someone doing the Tim Sylvia Standing LnP, and Vera didn't do them.

5. It's going to be embarrassing when Sylvia is #1

6. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Couture is cool and all, but I never understood how he got to #2 when he came back into the MMA scene--his last match prior to retirement was a loss to a LHW.

Nogueira has managed a record with no KO's or submissions and somehow gets shelved beneath Couture for beating Gonzaga and Sylvia.

I know that inactivity is important here, but Fedor has been just as inactive as Nog before they both signed to their respective organizations, but Fedor managed to stay #1, while Nog got bumped to #3.

7. pepsi

pepsi Cut my life into pieces

not saying it wasn't a win, inch = mile. but for all his performance, and nog's. that gets them number 1, which shows the sorry state of the heavyweight division.

8. Exiled

Exiled New Member

All I care about is nog winning

I love nog

jiujitsu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Unfortunately, Randy picked Tim to win

10. I'm sorry, but fucking lurch is going to beat him. It's just a bad style matchup.

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

makes sense, who else would you rank #1. ya can complain about inactivity by nog with 1 fight in a year but then again fedor hasn't exactly been active. who knows if or when coulture is gonna fight again so if nog beats sylvia and since randy ducked out of the ufc before fighting nog id think nog would be a good #1. if sylvia beats nog toss a coin i have no idea, almost have to keep randy at the top until it's clear he isn't fighting anytime soon again or if fedor has a fight against an actual competitor it would have to go back to fedor, jesus the HW division is all fucked up who knows, nevermind

12. Optamix

Optamix New Member

13. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Yeah

im hoping for nog to sub him

14. Nog's wrestling is so poor, and I don't think his standup can threaten Tim, who has reach, power, and a chin.

If Sylvia slips and falls over, it's possible Nog could get on him and sub him, but I don't expect it to happen.

15. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

while i kind of agree. arguing that Nog finishing cro cop makes him superior in anyway is kind of weak mma math. that was a vital 2 years of growth for Mirko and you can see it in his takedown and sub defense.

16. Exiled

Exiled New Member

Wasn't nog going to be an olympic boxer? Im sure he can handle sylvias iowa corn bread ass in that department.

And he is a black belt in judo and he isn't affraid to pull guard so I think he'll jump it and sylvia will test his might in his guard which will be his biggest mistake everrrrrrrrrrrrrr

17. that was lil nog.

Pulling guard didn't work too well for jeff monson, who is a more accomplished grappler than Nog.

18. Exiled

Exiled New Member

oh dear god no

completely different person

19. Exiled

Exiled New Member

i hate sylvia

he's going to get crushed I hope

fuckin hick

20. I hate him as well, but I don't think it will happen.

21. Exiled

Exiled New Member

when is this next ufc

february what

22. roose

roose Guest

2nd

23. omg so much ufc

24. Exiled

Exiled New Member

wow this weekend?

I need to see this one

is this the lesnar one too?

fuck me if it is im actually going to buy a ufc this time

25. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Yep, same one.

I'm gonna be drunk off my ass in New Orleans waiting on Jeff to text me that Lesner got his arm broke :mamoru: