LGBT Hypothetically speaking......

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by I Rule, Sep 4, 2004.

1. I Rule

I Rule Guest

let's say you're 17 years old..you have a great body, great face, great eyes, in short you got good looks. You're gay and you found this great guy who you see on a daily basis and you're falling for him. You want to approach him and talk to him, get to know him but you were diagnosed with bipolar and hyper(social)tension disorder. You fall short of breath when people start asking you questions and you're not really good at starting a conversation. Your moods change from time to time. What in the world do you do?

2. mamoru

mamoru New Member

Sounds like every gay man I know...

First off, great looks mean nothing if your mind isn't healthy. Said person would have to take care of his body and mind for me to say "wow, this one's got the whole package!"

With that said, I dated someone with the SAME characteristics, and it was an emotional rollercoaster for me, considering how much I liked him. He took pills though to help himself, but was such a fucking egomaniac that I would have rather he didn't take the pills at all and just act like the normal person in the way he way born.

I can tell you that my moods change all the time. I most likely have a sliver of bipolarity in me as I get So Emotional like whitney after bobby's done with her.

Embrace and love yourself first before loving other people. Be comfortable with the fact that some guys (or girls...) come and go, and some will like you as much as you like them...and sometimes, you get rejected because they see YOU as too perfect.

With that said...you might want to see a doctor about getting some med's to help you deal with your two disorders as they are a bit more serious that "common depression".

:hug:

3. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I think you just have to try and no let what you were diagnosed with rule your life.

This is difficult, but lets face it: neither of the two are just going to work their way out without any effort on your part. You have to try to talk to new people, you have to give yourself the chance, and you can't say "I won't do that because THIS will happen." You don't know what will or will not happen, exactly. You just have to live. You're going to get nervous and clam up, but you can't stop talking to new people or you'll be less happy for not trying. And if the person can't handle that, there are plenty of other people in the world that are willing to.

But at 17, I think you have more to worry about then guys. :)

4. I Rule

I Rule Guest

I tried to cover up my disorders by talking "hypothetically" but I guess it didn't work. I'm really bad at covering up my feelings and emotions...no wonder people can see right through me. Mamoru, I have seen my doctor several times and he's telling me to go out and try to talk to people....I tell him its easier said than done. How the hell am I supposed to be in a civlized conversation when my mood can change from one min to the next. My last option is to take pills and see how that works. God, you're supposed to take medication when you're old, not 17....damn my life sucks.

5. mamoru

mamoru New Member

Call me Edmond :)

Um...no, your life doesn't suck. People have it SO MUCH worse than you...

Social anxiety is nothing to really be tossed aside. And I could only imagine how hard it is for you to try and strike up a convo. My best answer at this point is to find a doctor to prescribe you pills for the bipolarity, because THAT can really ruin your life if it isn't treated.

I am everything but socially inept...I am SO type-A at times...and I hate talking to strangers, but sometimes I force myself to.

Man, we're here for you if you ever need to talk about anything. But right now, get your emotions in order so you can go out and be proud of yourself and meet some hottie mchotties.

Honestly, I knew a bipolar dude, and the mood swings just killed me...especially since I'm just as moody. I suffer the extreme highs and the extreme lows, and I can understand you, because it sucks. It sucks to go through them.

But the best thing I've learned that kept me going is: Once you hit rock bottom, there is nowhere to go but up.

With that said, get your life in order. Talk to a doctor. Talk to us.

I can't force you to go out and meet people, but I can drop suggestions to help you overcome those pains you suffer now and then. We can all help :hug:

6. coma

coma New Member

I self-diagnosed myself as having Social Anxiety Disorder and I went the pill route (Paxil). When I had a routine exam, I casually mentioned to my quack MD that I had heard about Paxil (from those promising TV ads). He almost threw a prescription at me, no questions asked. It seemed like the answer to my prayer, but after 3 weeks I quit. All it did for me was to magnify my problems and I was always out of it, spacey (and by the way, sex drive goes down to ZERO).
    Apparenty some people respond very well to these drugs, so other's experience my differ.

7. I Rule

I Rule Guest

To tell you the truth....the sex drive and sex in general has been and probably will remain to be the last thing in my mind. I have better and more important issues to worry about in my life than sex. That's just how life goes for me. Two most important issues: Fashion(which includes my car) and my disorders!

Overall, your post was very much informative and I thank you for it.

8. RedGoober4Life

serotin uptake inhibitors take up to a month to actually work. I don't question your judgement though. :)

I Rule,
    I would see both a counselor/psychologist AND a psychiatrist. It's unlikely you will get into a psychiatrist right away (it may be a month or two--and you will notice they aren't...well lets just say they aren't getting paid to talk to you). Medication alone isn't going to solve your problems 100%. Actually, you're likely to get better for a few weeks or months, then return to normal. The point of the medication would be to help you with building up your confidence. No pill can take away stress, but there is stress and there is stress too much and too often.

You may go through 2 counselors/psychologists before you feel comfortable and trust them. I can tell you this from experience that while I haven't met a bad person that was a psychologist, I have met some that didn't work for me. When you find the right one, they will be able to help you help yourself. You obviously are already willing to help yourself, or you wouldn't have made this post. That puts you at an advantage right there.

Through it all you can't lose perspective. I remember 11th grade all too well. I would miss school 2-3 times a week the first quarter just because the thought of it turned my stomach. This didn't make the situation any better--my stomach still hurt the days I did go, probably just as much as the days I decided not to go. It's harder to play catch up then to let yourself fall too far behind. I don't want to scare you with this. I just wish somebody would have told me this--although I likely wouldn't have listened at the moment.

I think a major thing that you have to remember is that no matter how bad things are: you are still living, and with that you can still change things. There are people in the world in situations much much worse. This doesn't make your situation any better--but it comes down to perspective.

Personally my perspective was that I was the only person that got nervous around people--which is very far from the truth. Another thing I thought was that people thought bad things about me even if they didn't know me. It took a year of telling myself "people don't think like that, you don't think like that when you meet people!" to get myself trained to NOT think like that. You have to give yourself a chance to let other people give you a chance. :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  9. I Rule

I Rule Guest

RedGoober4Life, first of all, what's your name? When I talk to people and have to use their OT username I feel like Im talking to a machine.

I want to thank you very much for trying to help me with my disorders. Sometimes I feel like im stuck in a dark whole and things keep on repeating themselves over and over again. Regarding the pshychiatrist.....I'm not so sure about that. I'll probably start thinking that Im a psycho and need major mental help(and who knows, maybe I do)...I'll end up the daily joke for everyone. Maybe Im overexaggerating this right now, but that's how I feel. Knowing im bipolar and that my moods shift all the time....the pshychiatrist will see me as a "mental threat" to everyone and himself and put me in a mental institution with my parents' permission of course. I am willing to take medication to help myself but I do not want to get dependent on them.....and knowing my luck, I probably will. God, the more I talk, the more confused I am. I will stop right here for now and see if I can get some rest. Good night everyone!

10. RedGoober4Life

They won't put you in an institution unless you're a threat to yourself. :)

I know this, front experience. :( Don't let yourself get that bad. They're lonely places. The one I was at was a drug rehab place and child services. My roomate was a 7 year old with a temper. It was weird. I remember actually talking to the poor kid for hours at night--he had nobody :( He was still hopeful his mother would get out of jail after a year of being there. :( I felt horrible for him.

I think you need to talk to your parents about getting you help. They have a right to know--and they have a responsibility to help you. :) And you don't have to tell everyone. Your parents, for sure, a few others maybe--but it's not important to a lot of people except you. :) You won't be the daily joke for everyone if only the people you can trust know.

My name is Corey, by the way.

11. I Rule

I Rule Guest

Since I am not a threat to myself YET.....that means no mental institution time for me. YAY!!! However, I would like to visit one, in case I do end up in an institution.

12. I Rule

I Rule Guest

Why not?

13. ExDelayed

ExDelayed New Member

Anti-depressants can help with your anexiety. Many, many people take them, as you have probably noticed with this thread, so dont feel bad about asking your doctor for some. Some dont work, others will be great. Im one of the people Paxil works for. My MD gave me Xanax for the anexiety but said that it would probably be the Paxil that did more help. It took a week or so for it to kick in completely, my eating habits and sex drive went all strange for that time but when they stabilized they were higher then they were (without weight gain from eating more :bigthumb: ). Prozac was Hell. Since I was dealing with depression at that time I didnt care about anything. On the Prozac, I didnt care and it bothered me that I didnt care but I didnt want to try to change anything. :eek3:

To overcome your anexiety you just have to push yourself. It will not go away by itself, unless you keep yourself from meeting people for the rest of your life. Go out with some friends that already know you and do something. Perhaps a party or something where your friends (support if you need them, but probably wont) will be nearby, but there will be some new people. You dont have to mingle much but talk to the people if they come to you. If you let your anexiety get out of hand, it will start creeping into other aspects of your life like work and school. One trick is to find a small rubber band, put it on your wrist of the hand that you dont normaly use. When you feel your nerves creeping up, pull it and let it smack your arm good. The small but sudden amount of pain will *make* your mind focus on it instead of your nerves. Eventually you will program youself to think that bad anexiety = pain and you will get over it. If anyone asks you about it just say that you put it there earlier while you were doing something and must have forgot about it. :)

As for the bi-polar, I am of no help because I havent had any experience with it.

Names Jon, BTW.

14. I Rule

I Rule Guest

I can put my good looks to good use but chose not to, what's your point? Just bacause someone is good looking but has pshychological problems, doesn't mean he/she does not deserve to be good looking.

15. RedGoober4Life

They should be sluts and a half! :wtc:

16. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

kick him in the nuts.

He'll take it as a sign of affection.

17. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

:squint:

18. CoCo

Just so that I'm reading you correctly, good looking people WITH great personalities have it too good, so if you have one you shouldn't have the other? Sorta like, to balance things? If that is what you meant, which are you....ugly or possessing no interpersonal skills?

19. CoCo

OOOOOOh, okay. I was like, :squint: ....:rofl: Your statement makes sense now. Back in college there was this really depressing heterophobic fag that no one liked, and he constantly hated on the rest of queers around campus (except me, for some reason...although I didn't like him). The above statement reminded me of something he would say, and I got rather annoyed.

20. CoCo

...okay.