Hypothetical SVS sub placement scenario/question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

There is no reasoning behind this its just for fun

Would there be any serious issues in running:

2 PB12-Plus/2
    and
    2 16-46 PC–Plus cylinders

According to Harman white papers it says 4 subwoofers are the max you can pull off in a room and are best to be placed at each wall mid point or corner

The goals are: SPL level without overdriving the woofers to noticeable distortion, ultra low extension, and providing balanced levels of bass throughout a large room for multiple positions of patrons.

I was thinking that set up would be killer for a party :big grin:

If you ask why 2 boxes and the then the 2 cylinders, its because itd be cool looking and why not :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2006
  2. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

why not? good equipment is good equipment

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i was just curious if anyone would think that running the cylnders would cause some sort of anomalies in the spl levels throught the freq range, peaks in a particular area but i suppose that can be tuned out

im going to be getting 1 pb-12/plus 2 soon, christmas present sorta, ill have to see how heavy duty the bass gets on that, i hear 2 of them is violent, i can only imagine would the cylinders would be like in back bumping bass down to 10hz :eek4:

4. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Well, unless they'd be crossed over differently... I'd keep all drivers the same type...

nG

5. johnson

johnson New Member

Youre going to spend $4500 just so it can look cool? You can beat the SVS Ultra/2 performance for $600-$700.

6. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Precisely.

;)

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Well it depends on placement aswell. I dont think you are going to get horrendous peaks/dips in it, but like its been said the same drivers will produce a better sound, unless you cross over the cylinders for the lowers and the other ones for the higher sounds, but then thats just wastful I think, because both of them are capable of a full range of bass

8. johnson

johnson New Member

:ugh:

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

indeed, i just felt like bringing up some discussion(and i was curious due to the fact they are the same drivers its just that one is in a cylnder the other is in a box), im thinking 2 plus 2s corner loaded ftw :dunno:

10. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hypothetical

this thread servers primarily for discussion as opposed to product recommendation threads, i was bored

the ultra 2 performance maybe but the plus/2 performance is a pretty good value

11. johnson

johnson New Member

$2100 is a good value?

$310 for 15" driver (or used 18" aa avalanche)
    $250-$320 for amp
    $100 for materials

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the plus 2 is 1500in piano gloss you dumb cunt, 1200 in flat black, 100 for shipping learn to read

i dont want to make my own god damn subwoofer system if i did id be rolling something crazy, dual 12s/15s with a crown k2, etc (a crown amp costs as much an entire SVS pb/plus 2)

not to mention if i made something myself it wouldnt look nearly as nice as a SVS, id have to have someone trick out my enclosure for me

13. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

The MFW-15 over at av123 looks promising. 4 of those would be probably be fun.

14. johnson

johnson New Member

Like I said, you can get the ULTRA performance for $700 DIY (ssabipro sold his ultra/2 performance and kept his 15"). "Something crazy" is dual 12's or 15's :ugh:? Even if you had someone finish the enclosure, it would still be a hell of a lot less than a commercial one. And :ugh2: for using a K2 on some subwoofers.

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i dont know who ssabipro is

whats wrong with dual woofers :ugh:? maybe crazy was the wrong word but if im going to go DIY i might as well do more than 1 woofer for crazy output amirite?!

people used to use K2s on the old b4plus4 svs sub system it just came to mind for something that pushed a lot of power :dunno:

but anyway even if i do go DIY id rather spend the same as the SVS and get much better performance rather than spend less and get same or slightly better.

id want to see THD measurements and [email protected] measurements etc if I really wanted to go all out on a DIY sub rather than just taking a leap of faith

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  17. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Ha @ xbl^2 adire drivers... for the HSU.

And TEECEE drivers for the SVS.

Lawl.

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

xbl2s are only used on the HO, there is also a vtf3mk3 model with a different driver

svs plus 12.3s are inhouse but yeah the ultras are TC :\

if i want to shatter the performance DIY for 1500-1800 what driver(s) would either of you suggest to use? factor in prices of materials for quality cabinet construction amp etc

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

lol and btw johnson i thought you meant in your post saying you can beat the ultra for 600-700 dollars you meant that an additional 600-700 dollars will get you a woofer to beat the SVS ultra/2, i was confused because I wasnt talking about the ultra and figured you were making some random statement, lol

any hoo

20. johnson

johnson New Member

TC LMS5400 18"
    Avalanche 18"
    Avalanche 15"
    Tumult 15"
    RL-P 15"
    TC-2000 15"

21. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

22. Ronin

Ronin Guest

on one hand I really want to make something really nice DIY on the other I dont want to spend the time doing it, ARGH

I will consider it

when I e-mail him do i tell him "ngsm sent me" ?

23. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

You can tell him Noah (aka ngsm13) sent you. He knows me personally, I've spent some time around him.

24. johnson

johnson New Member

no, just tell him you want a q15 with low qts for HT. id rather get the tc-2000 or rl-p when they come in stock.

20" or 24" interior diameter sonotube or concrete tubing cut to size
    mdf for endcaps (cut to fit ID of the tube, 3 on each side)
    some acoustic foam or r13 insulation to line the inside walls (not needed)
    terminals
    carpet for outside
    driver
    amp

thats basically all you need to make a sonosub. Here's the design that ill be making over christmas break.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  25. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Woo. a TC9 in a sonotube.

Eh.