GUN Hypothetical Situation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Aequitas, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Let me just preface this by saying I know concealed carry is almost guranteed to never be allowed on college campuses. I'm just curious as to how you guys think a situation like this would play out.

I was thinking about the recent shooting on a Canadian college campus and of how the people there were defenseless (college campus and Canada FTL). What if something like this were to take place on an American college campus, gun friendly state, i.e. Florida or Colorado. The people there would still be defenseless since it's illegal to bring a gun on a college campus, unless in instances of school sponsored events or school shooting ranges, etc. Started to think like the typical "sue for anything" type of person and came up with this scenario. Similar to how people sue police departments when a fleeing suspect hits their car.

Let's say John Smith is a responsible gun owner; has his concealed weapons license and carries whenever he's able to, except, of course, while on campus. Well, he's there the day the bad guy decides to shoot a bunch of people. John is one of the victims, injured or killed. Would his parents/family or self if he survives be able to sue the state or federal government for preventing him from defeding himself? If it were any other place he would have had the capacity to, but not this time.

Just curious as to how that would most likely play out.:dunno:

2. Sssnake

Sssnake meh

Probably not, but you can bet they could sue the hell out of the school for "not providing a safe environment".

Same could be done with say a store that prevents CCW carry and you were hurt or killed by an armed robbery. A good attorney could sue for not allowing a licensed CCW from being able to protect himself. Here

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006
  3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

i know a guy that carries on campus

4. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

probably not there are all sorts of fucked up, whenever people sue police departments or other state agencies they almost never end up winning, most agencies are covered under blankent laws that do not make them liable.

That's why if a police officer commandeers your vehicle, your insure nor the police department are liable for any damages to it.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

they call it concealed for a reason...

6. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

didn't one state just say that the college has no right to over ride the states laws regarding concealed weapons?

too bad florida the school are written into the law.

Its a damn good question, but it might be one of those things that to win the right to carry anywhere like that it would have to be appealed all the way to the supreme court. That is of course assuming that they would read the second amendment as something giving a right directly to the individual, then maybe you could make a case that almost any law restricting where you can carry a gun violates "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

7. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Here in Oregon the law states where you can't carry, and then says no other body may ban other places. So our state college system has a "rule" that is against the law, they just haven't had a case to test it.

The comm. college I went to recently was advised by it's attourny's to change the rules and allow CCW's. Guess what happened after they made it legal and not against the rules? Nothing, no mass murders nothing.

8. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

:mamoru2: :h5:

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Thats the one good thing about CA CCW laws, if you get a licence to carry, you can ignore the rules for no guns on campus.

10. Immortal1

Immortal1 New Member

so what if you were ccw on campus, illegally, and a situation arose. say you were the one to diffuse the situation by shooting the 'bad guy' before he did any harm.

you think you'd be lauded as a town/city hero or do you think they say'd thanks but now we're gonna fuck you?

11. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I'm thinking option number 2. Not sure if a jury would convict though.

12. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I'm thinking number 2, but it'd be worth it if you saved just one life.

13. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Utah just went through this.

Link's on GlockTalk somewhere.

14. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

I know a few, but they all work for the University Police Dept. :greddy:

15. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

You'd probably be fucked. You know out of 12 random people there'd be at least 1 anti-gun loony.

16. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

in Cali, itd be number 2 for the state, but number 1 for the jury.

17. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

If I have to sacrifice my life and pay legal fees for the rest of it I sure as HELL better save more than one fucking life in the process.

In Colorado it's perfectly legal to carry on college campuses. Unfortunately that prick mother fucker Salazar told CU that it was ok for them to "lawfully enforce" their rules about no CC on campus. No situations have popped up to challenge the law yet. Apparently they all have rules about it now

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  18. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

They would run away screaming in horror, defenseless, being taken down left and right by the rifle, shotgun or whaetever they were using. The only hope for them would be the overly present campus police/security. But they are usually not the best cops.
    It would be a turkey shoot.
    John would be killed or injured, and they wouldnt really win a lawsuit since the carry ban was passed with peoples safety in mind

And if you illegally ccw'd on campus and saved the day, they would commend you, but then also state that it was an ignorant thing to do and you could have gotten killed.

19. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Like hell they would. They'd figure out some way to demonize you unless you were in school to become a cop or something. Hell, the police would probably shoot you when they arrive. All they know is that there's an idiot with a gun shooting up the college. If you're still shooting at the REAL idiot when they get there then they could mistake you for him :noes:

20. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I guess your right. Cops arent the smartest people.

21. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Yup. Utah supreme court ruled that state universities are subject to state law and cannot ban CCW on campus for those who are licensed to carry.

That's the way it should be, college campuses and the surrounding areas have the highest crime rates of any locations in the United States.

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm going to U of O and I know a fair amount of people carry around here despite the fact that is pretty much the liberal hell-hole of Oregon. I have no problem with people carrying as long as it stays conceled. I would hate for the university to expel or sue a student for conceled carrying.

23. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

I think it is bullshit. College kids are no different to anyone over 18.

But concerning the situation where you shoot and your legally not allowed to possess a gun in that situation, I would love to try find historical cases of what happened.

I tried last night but didnt find anything

24. Gimik

Gimik New Member

That chick in the wheelchair that shot the mugger. It was NY I think. She was not allowed to carry loaded, but was.

25. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Im not looking for uneligible people, im looking for illegal situations..

So more of the guy @ church than the guy who has 2 felony convictions and shoots a hijacker,