hypertrophy/work to failure?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by turbo35, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

I see these definitions tossed around a lot, and wanted some input on people's understandings of what these mean.

note: I pulled these numbers out of the air, just as an example.

Say I can't push 200 lbs... I can kinda get 180 lbs up, but not all the way, and only a couple times before I can't push it again... I can comfortable do 160 cleanly for like 8 or 9 reps, and on that last one I really have to push to finish it off. I still have energy, but I'll only get it maybe 1/4 up again before I can't move it no matter how hard I try.

Now... when people talk about training to failure, are they talking about putting everything they have into that last one even tho they're not gonna lift it... just keep pushing until they're exhausted? Or are we talking about putting all you got into that last one you can complete, and not wasting your energy on that last incomplete rep, and going on to work on something else?

2. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

failure, when i think of that is keep lifting, cant anymore at that weight, lower, go again, and so on...you can think of it different ways though, just lift hard.

3. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

I'm going to copy a post I saw on another board

Should answer your question

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

failure should be the point at which you cannot further complete a rep... basically if you have to compromise your form then it shouldn't be considered a real rep IMO if you're doing the other reps with proper form.

Hypertrophy I don't know much about... but typically it seems to be used as doing something for 8-12 reps, which is considered by many to be the optimal rep range for gaining muscle size specifically.

5. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Training to failure is stopping only after you exert on that last 1/4 and fail. As some said that's training to concentric failure. Some program asks you to train to eccentric failure too. That's where someone assists you on the positive or concentric portion and you lower it at a controlled manner until you can no longer do so.
    And in my opinion, neither are necessary for hypertrophy. Stopping the set at 1 or 2 reps shy of concentric failure is enough especially when doing higher sets.

6. antihero

antihero OT Supporter

going to failure has much more negative impacts on recovery then it does benefits for hypertrophy for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.