A&P Hyperfocal Distance

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CRC, Jan 27, 2005.

1. CRC

CRC New Member

What is it and how should I use it?

I know it has to do with getting landscape pictures in focus. Why can't I just put the focus on something way off in the distance? How is that different than focusing on the hyperfocal distance?

2. TheEvil1

TheEvil1 Hell is other people OT Supporter

3. mojito

mojito New Member

your DOF carries 1/3 of the way in front of the plane of focus and 2/3 behind. If you focus on something way in the background, then the front won't be in focus.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

Stopping down past say F/16, won't help bringing in much more DOF and will start to lose sharp focus from so many aperature blades in such a small area

5. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

Hyperfocal distances are used to maximize in-focus areas.

The way this works is, depth-of-field, how much you have in focus, and where you depth of field is gets determined by your focus point, and aperture size.

So, the amount of depth-of-field you have is controlled by the aperture size. The smaller the aperture, the more DOF. At some point, things will start to get a little fuzzy again due to 'diffraction', but the areas are technically still in focus.

Where your in-focus areas get positioned is controlled by your focus point. Roughly 1/3 of the in-focus area will be in front of the place you focused, 2/3rds will be behind where you focused. If you focus at infinity, that 2/3rds is behind infinity, and is effectively wasted.

The idea of focusing at the hyperfocal point is to make the last 2/3rds of your in-focus area include infinity, so you can get most of the foreground in-focus, all the way to infinity. This means you will need to set your focus point a little bit ahead of infinity.

6. CRC

CRC New Member

:bowdown:

That one sentence makes me understand it now. Thanks!