GUN Hunting trips are tasty

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I left my house at 11 am on Friday for my little mini vacation, a hunting trip out to my friend's ranch property for the weekend. The idea was to get a deer or two, check some rifles out, and get away from the city for a while.

Friday afternoon was pretty much a relaxing ordeal, the girls that came out shot my AR-15 and some pistols :naughty: . The weather was getting colder and the rain was going to be coming in on Saturday, so I knew what needed to be done. I took my Mosin out of the stock, rust-protected the barrel/receiver and oiled the action. I decided my Mosin had been out of retirement long enough, and deer are tasty.

Saturday morning rolls around, I get out of bed and get ready to go. M&P9 in a shoulder holster under my coat, 1 stripper clip of 203 grain Silver Bear 7.62x54R in my front pocket. I grab my rifle and set out with my group to find some game.

We walk back out into the brush to a area that deer usually congregate at during the season, being careful to not attract too much attention to ourselves on the way out. We near the clearing, and we instantly spot some. It had been established that I would try for the first deer, as I typically only get one or two weekends during the season to come out. I get setup. I get down on one knee, and judge the distance. I decided it was slightly less than 100 yards, so I kept my rear sight adjusted accordingly. I find my target, line up the sights and take a deep breath. I exhale slowly and pull the trigger back, then the noise and recoil jolt myself and the area around me. The deer instantly falls. I hope I have hit it where I was aiming, as I like a nice quick transaction, I hate making any animal suffer.

We all walk over to the deer, and I am rewarded with a perfect hit, smack dab in the top center of the neck as planned. The Mosin comes out of retirement victorious, and I feel like I have proven the accuracy of the old Russian rifle.

It was great eating, and later on my friend got another one with a .223 Remington 700 Police. What a great weekend.

Cliffs: Deer are tasty, Mosins are accurate, Silver Bear soft point 7.62x54R doesn't disappoint.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

I envy you sir.

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

You came out with more than I did. :(

My wife's cousin did kill a 125lb spike, though.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Fuck yeah man!

Wish I could make it hunting this year :sad2:

5. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

Thanks for the invite :wtc:

instead I was stuck at home talking to Goverment agents

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Damn...

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

would you consider a .223rem a reasonable round to shoot some deer?

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Well, if you hit them in the base of the skull or anywhere in the head, yes. With a little round like that, you need to be very accurate. I would possibly hunt with one on a gun with optics.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, I've got my AR and an EOTech. Granted it's not a hunting scope, but I could swap one on pretty easily. I am looking at a nice bolt-action... maybe I'll settle for a .308 or .30-06, but now I'm really thinking about just getting a .300 win mag.

The other option is to get a mosin m38 if I can ever find one for a reasonable price local.... But no one is selling em!

10. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

no, it's not

11. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Well, I don't know what terrain you are hunting in, but .300 Win Mag is an excessively powerful round for deer IMO. If you needed to make the shot at 700 yards, I guess something that balsy would be nice, but think about it this way:

People have made sniper kills with .308s in the military from 1000+ yards, a deer is comparable in size to a person. A .308 is a very good round for deer at most distances; it's cheap, lost of variety in ammunition, and the rifles are inexpensive. I shoot and load .308, so I am a little bit biased.

An M38 would be an excellent deer rifle if your eyes are good enough for the distances you are shooting. The Mosin has very easy elevation adjustment, which is nice.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay. Well I need to either pull the trigger on a .300 win mag, or find a reasonable m38.

13. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

my cousin has one of these. we call it the punisher. kicks like a motherfucker. WAY too much power for a deer I would think. but we're Americans I guess we like our calibers like our steaks and titties. big

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well I imagine a .308 or .30-06 is ideal for dear, but instead of buying a few different bolts I figured it wouldn't hurt to get one that is gonna kill anything that moves on this continent.

besides recoil and ammo costs, what downside is there to this?

15. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

You might be running a round that is too hot for light-skinned game. Meaning the bullet will be going too fast to expand before exiting the deer. You will just punch a hole in it, and you will have to track it. A .308 is on the hot-end for deer, I load some pretty good rounds for the occasion, and I know off the shelf ammo is good too.

16. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

that's why there are dozens of bullet designs out there to remedy problems like these. :coolugh:

17. Mideel25

Mideel25 OT Supporter

backstraps :naughty:

There was a doe and an 8 point shot where I hunt this weekend.

18. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

You can still get the best polymer tipped bullet going too fast to expand effectively in small game. Deer are very small animals, they don't need something with 3500 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, going 3400 fps to take them down. .308 is cheap and readily available, you could take down any deer with a well-placed .308. If you are looking for headshots, I saw a deer go down instantly with a .223 to the head. People argue that .223 is a bad deer round.

If you want something that will take down anything in America, a 30/06 should work, a 300 Win Mag is really designed for bigger game than whitetail deer though.

19. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, I may lower my sights to the .308. cheaper ammo, too. I went to sportsmans warehouse tonight and they stock an alarmingly diverse selection of 458 win mag. What the fuck would you need that for in southern oregon???

21. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Dang, that's a big round for North America. A lot of people buy a huge gun, firing a huge caliber to compensate for poor shot placement. Really, a 30/06 will (and has been proven to) kill anything you find in North America. Back in the day, people I've known have killed deer with a .22. This is illegal now (in Texas at least), but it is possible. The problem is, you miss the perfect spot by a little, and the animal is now injured, and probably running. That's no good.

It all comes down to shot placement. If you can hit a deer in the head at 200 yards with a .223, you won't have any problem. Even game like a bear can be effectively hunted with a .357 magnum. Yes, bullet design has a good bit to do with it, but all cartridge/bullet combinations have a range of applications that they work well in. It is 100% possible to have the cartridge you are using be too fast or powerful for your application.

If you honestly wanted something that will do wonders on anything in North America, get a 45-70 lever action. Marlin makes one that will fire any load ever produced commercially for that caliber, even the one that has brought down an elephant. You could get a load suitable for deer, or something to take down a bison.

I have no doubt that a .308 would suit your needs when it came down to it, you could easily deer hunt with that cartridge.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

my main concern is that if I go out on a weekend trip and encounter a bear/cougar/elk on bad terms, it's gonna be me walking out of the woods without injury. That was the main reason for looking at the 300 win mag. I don't want to think, down the road, gee, I wish i had something a tad bigger.

23. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

.308 is plenty manly. 300mag is just showing off

24. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

thats what your heavily armed friends are for

25. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

No, the problem with most polymer tip bullets and high velocity is that they expand too violently and essentially blow up, acting more like a frangible varmint bullet that one meant for big game.

And a .22LR to the head will kill a deer, big deal. .223 isn't completely useless, but it does limit you in what shots you can take, and it's not easy to find ammunition that's loaded with a bullet that's meant to reliably expand on big game.

Also, head shots are hardly a good idea, as they leave too little room for error. Once you've seen a deer that's missing its lower jaw, you'll understand.