GUN Hunting Rifles

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by klintdog, May 1, 2007.

1. klintdog

klintdog Resident Lurker

I'm looking at getting a new hunting rifle. It would be used for coyotes, prairie dogs, antelope, and deer hunting. I'm out in ND so there would be a lot of open shots, not much closed off wood hunting. Any recommendations on caliber and models? I've got a 30-06 right now, but just feel like trying something new.

2. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Well I was gonna suggest a .223 for coyotes and prairie dogs. Maybe even .204 but I've never shot it, just hear good things. I think some states have a minimum caliber rule that would exclude those two for deer though. I have a range buddy that loves his .270, and he uses that for deer. I've never shot it myself.

I see alot of good feedback about the savage .17 HMR, and they're cheap so you could just pick one of those up for the varmints if you wanted. :dunno:

3. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

.270, .25-06., 7mm-08, and a lot of medium bore calibers would be ideal for the coyotes, deer and antelope, but you're not really going to find a centerfire rifle caliber much larger than .223 that really goes well with high volume prairie dog shooting.