GUN Hunting Rifles / Caliber questions

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RicketyCricket, Apr 27, 2007.

1. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket NOLA Saints crew, True Blood Jessica crew, Communi

I checked the stickies, didn't see much on comparisons of caliber accuracy/distance. Does anyone know of a decent site where I can learn about ballistics,terms,and how far/accurate certain calbiers are i.e. 30.06 vs 7mm mag. etc. Thanks!

Just asking :)

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

3. RicketyCricket

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

5. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

6. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

.30-06 is the most common and easy to find. It has a decent velocity and a lot of knock down power.

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

8. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

:knockdownpower:

9. RicketyCricket

most of the reason I want to find out more, is I took a long shot with my 30.06 last season and missed. I got fooled into thinking that it was about 200yards, but when I got out and walked it, it was probably closer to 300+ (close to 400) and I know it's tough for my 30.06 to get that far. So I'm basically trying to decide on a second rifle just to keep for hunting on a pipeline, or at a long distance. Does barrel length have much to do with viable shot distance when comparing same caliber? My rifle has a 22" barrel :hs:

10. sprite

sprite Active Member

.30 06' is plenty of rifle for a 400 yard shot... you just missed. If you aimed for a 200 yard shot, and the true distance was closer to 400 yards, then there was probably a good 15"-20" of bullet drop you didn't account for.

A .300 WinMag or some other monster magnum will flatten that out for you a little, no cartridge is going to make-up for a range estimate that is 200 yards off.

You'd probably be better off looking for a good mildot scope and learn to use the dots for accurate range estimation.

11. RicketyCricket

I have a scope with the BDC built in. I think just most of the problem is that I underestimated the distance. I was zoomed in on 9 and watching the deer for a bit. Once I took the shot I walked it and it seemed much further than it looked in the scope :o

probably just shooting more, and getting used to longer distances at a range should make me a better shot

12. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

What kind of scope is it? My friend has a Nikon Monarch with the BDC reticle and it's a pretty stupid design, it uses circles instead of crosswires and out at three to four hundred yards you can put the entire deer in the circle which isn't exactly a precise way to aim.

But like Sprite said, with more practice you'll do fine out to that far with your 30-06.

13. RicketyCricket

It's the Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 and if I remember right, it is small circles under the main crosshair. Someone in the Louisiana thread in the main forum posted some pictures of an outdoor range nearby that goes to 600 yards. I need to bring my rifle out there and do some shooting with it. I basically bought it, sighted it in and then went hunting. I hit one deer within 100 yards and then missed the long shot. I just need some time on the range probably to get some longer shots in.

14. RicketyCricket

one year update: I didn't even shoot my gun between hunting seasons. I shot twice, killed two deer. Both of my shots were dead on in the vitals where I aimed. One was 150 yards and the other was 34. I've since gotten better at estimating distance in the field (we got a rangefinder and checked the distance on the shots afterward)

15. Ticket Me

Ticket Me Active Member

7mm-08 with ballistic tip rounds works great up to 300 yards on deer

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:cool:

where do you hunt?

17. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Spend your money on a nice range finder and some ammo to practice with. I believe everyone needs a 7mag in the collection but not for what your going to buy it for.

18. RicketyCricket

Kisatchie national forest north of Ruston, LA Take Hwy167 out of Ruston up to the AR border and then head about 5 miles down on Highway 9 and find Sugar Creek Hunters camp. We camp off one of the trails on a pipeline.

19. RicketyCricket

I'm using the Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Bullet is everything..... Figure out what bullet you are running, then use the cartridge headstamp to determine velocity.

You are asking the wrong questions..... Accuracy/distance/blah blah blah are all subjective to primarily the skill of the shooter, as well as a host of other things (bullet being one of the bigger). I think you are in over your head, and starting near the finish. Understand why the bullet is so important, and go from there.

21. RicketyCricket

I'm going to look into this some before hunting season starts again. At the time I made this thread I had no idea how much difference there were between brands of bullets. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to stick with the Ballistic Silver Tip or not. But then again I don't want to have to sight in my rifle again with a new bullet. I dunno man, I'll just take any shot that I can regardless of the distance (within reason) and see what happens. Last season has given me alot more confidence with my shotting ability and distance estimating.

22. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I have a Remington .308 with a nikon monarch scope and killed a deer at 408 yds according to the GPS. I knew the ballistics data, knew the range, and adjusted the scope accordingly. .308 is enough, as is .30-'06 and even .243.

23. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Anything bigger than a .270 is a waste in my state.

24. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What makes you say that? Dead is dead in my book.

I personally can see a case for shooters without an LRF and turrets to bank on the flat shooting characteristics of some of the magnums (big 30's/7's); that being said I don't know why one wouldn't want to take advantage of the currently available technology to improve their odds. I suppose $$, or a lack of knowledge being the only two excuses out there....

25. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I'd say you really need to rethink your technique of shooting at whatever deer you see, regardless of distance. Without any kind of practice at longer ranges you'd be better off sticking to shots within 150-175 yards. You don't want to go out there and shoot a deer that's going to be too far away for you to track and have it go through a two to three hour death. Not only that, but with you not aiming properly who knows where the round is going, and one of the main rules of firearm safety is to be sure of your target and what is behind it.

*steps down off of soapbox*