GUN Hunting gear

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by johnson, Nov 9, 2009.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

I went for my first time last year and was unprepared. I didnt buy a sling so I was carrying an 8lb for miles, sometimes uphill.

What is everything you bring to the camp site?

I am thinking buying one of these to sight in my rifle on Thursday or Friday and probably need a few more things from Midway but don't know what to get.

[​IMG]

What do you recommend for a sling and rifle case?

[​IMG]

I did sight in my rifle today but I was getting crappy 3" groups with a crappy rest. I also wasn't using the ammo I was going to hunt with so that's why I'm going again Thursday or Friday.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What bullet/ammo?

And what rifle/optics/rings? Rest consisting of what?

Details negro, you aren't providing them.

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

who the fuck uses a rest to hunt?

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Using it to sight in the rifle, toolbag.

5. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I sight in my hunting rifle with my sling wrapped just how I shoot it :dunno:

must be a kentucky thing, toolbag

6. johnson

johnson New Member

CZ 550 American with factory rings
    Bushnell ELITE 4200 3-9x40mm

Ran through a box of Prvi 6.5 Swede 139 gr. FMJ
    [​IMG]

Will be hunting with Norma 6.5x55 120 gr. Ballistic Tip (cost 40 fucking dollars)
    [​IMG]

Used the range provided Hornady Delta rest.
    [​IMG]

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mebbe. I figured he was trying to zero it and deduce maladies, at which point I'd rather have the rest to eliminate variables.

8. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

well, seeing now what he's shooting, i'd get a rest too I suppose, though it wont make a difference. I put ~4 rounds a year through my Browning Micro (yeah, hahah) A-Bolt .308 for hunting. :mamoru:

9. johnson

johnson New Member

I will shoot the rifle(s) for recreation also so I still want a bag for shooting off a bench.

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Honestly haven't used any of the gear you are running, so I dunno.

First would be to scrap the Prvi. I seriously doubt it's "great" ammo. I know nothing about the Norma stuff, but I can't imagine it's any worse. If regulated to factory fodder, might as well try out as much stuff as you can.

If you are getting shit for accuracy, ammo certainly rates the first look if running factory stuff. Second would be optic/mount lashup, making sure your glass hasn't went tits up/parallax is good/etc. Then I'd be checking for stress points. The stock bitch slapping the barrel anywhere? What about the fit of the action into the stock? It tight/no excessive rubmarks on stock? Crown fucked up?

Then I'd work on technique. You aren't digging that front stud into the bags are you? Resting off the stock, and not the barrel? Keeping consistent pressure throughout? Pulling straight back on the trigger?

Just some things I start checking off when shit's not working like it should. As for slings.... I just run cheapy neoprene carry straps. My sling game is weak.

11. johnson

johnson New Member

Im using the Delta rest (all plastic) so it's not what you would call stable.

12. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

still run a leather sling on my hunting .308. always have, always will. maybe it's habit, but I hunt different than I tactically shoot. it's just different

13. johnson

johnson New Member

What kind of sling?

14. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

if you're right handed, put your left arm through the sling to the right, wrap under the sling, then grab the forearm. then shoot in prone, sitting and standing. that should be all the sighting in you need. or just get a simple sandbag if it's really not sighted in at all. if you have to take more than one shot, you shouldn't be hunting

15. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

16. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Sandbags work, and the bags you can buy are handy. Bags literally filled with sand works too, as does a bag. The mechanical rests that are one piece and setup for windage/ele are nice too.

17. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

or just a cinder block

18. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

19. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

wat are you hunting anyways, and what kind of rifle? seems an odd caliber...just curious though

20. johnson

johnson New Member

Deer

I decided on this caliber because of all the positive reviews from other people. Soft shooting, excellent BC, been taking out scandinavian moose for a century.

21. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

All the Privi stuff I've had is decent. Not match grade but decent. Your rifle may not like the particular load that Privi uses either. I mostly buy it because it's one of the few places I can get decent brass in some calibers. Not many people make boxer primed 7.62x54R brass or 7.5x55 Swiss. Norma is way too expensive to shoot for practice stuff but I would finish sight-in with your hunting loads. The cheaper stuff is good for getting your groups close though.

The only rests I've used have been the little leather sandbags and a lead sled. The lead sled works the best but they are pricey. I'm hoping sometime to go in with a few people on one.

I've heard a lot of good things about the 6.5x55 caliber, I wish I had gotten into Swedish Mausers years ago, it would have given me an excuse to purchase my Tikka T3 in that caliber since I would have already had the projectiles and brass. I've instead stuck with .308 diameter bullets for the most part, 2 .308s and a 7.5x55 K-31.

22. johnson

johnson New Member

Anyone want to chime in on hunting gear?

23. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I buy the cheap slings at Wal Mart for my rifles, they function the same as a more expensive one so I don't bother with anything else. I set up base camp at my friends ranch house when I go hunting, so I cannot tell you much about what I would bring on a more primitive hunting trip.

24. johnson

johnson New Member

Ill be staying in a big shed. There's 5 bunk beds made with 2x4 and plywood so I need a sleeping pad at the least. Last year I didnt bring anything and it was the worst sleep i've ever had. I looked at REI website and they sure can cost a lot...

25. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Well an inflatable air mattress would be much better than just a pad. cheaperthandirt sells them, so does Wal Mart and probably Academy too. I would bring a small hand pump for one. I'm sure it gets cooler up there in Missouri than it is in Texas, I would buy a good wool blanket or something similar.