hunching over from too much chest work?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by pew pew pew, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

ive noticed that my posture has been kind of bad, i lean over a bit more and slump my shoulders more than usual. also, my chest has been developing more than my back, should i focus more on back or is it unrelated?

2. The Boy Bastard

The Boy Bastard Bewbie's??

If you don't stretch or do you have a desk job? These can also contribute heavily to protracted shoulders as well as greater chest development versus back. Actively stretching your chest between sets or after your chest workouts and a couple times during the week can improve your situation.

3. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

do more rear delt work and back work. you should be doing a lot more for your back than your chest, it's a small muscle group

4. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Your posture should not be directly related to how much you work a muscle group.

Your chest is not so big that you're leaning forward...

But you should be doing a lot of back work. It's a very important muscle group.

and Make a concentrated effort to keep your posture correct. It doesn't matter how big your muscles are if you look like a hunchback

5. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

i didnt mean it was the size or weight of the muscles but if the chest is more developed it kind of "pulls" everything forward... and my arms hang kind of towards the front rather than down by my sides :dunno:
    thanks for the help so far

6. Layman

Layman New Member

Along these lines, I've noticed that my lower back overpowers my abs and I tend to lean back a bit. I'm trying to rectify that...

7. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I've had this problem for a while because when I first started lifting I spent a lot of time on chest and not much time at all on back outside of DL's.

Just work on keeping good posture and your shoulders back throughout the day and start working your lats and rear delts more.

8. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Sounds like you're tight in the chest. Stretch it and work your back more.

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

stretch your chest and lats a lot, and mix up the type of stretches for each.

And yes, work your back. Throw in some Face-Pulls when you work out your back, they're great for shoulder stability.

10. The Boy Bastard

The Boy Bastard Bewbie's??

http://www.exrx.net/ExInfo/Posture.html#anchor3268357

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.