Hummer H3.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by RX Bandit, Nov 23, 2007.

1. RX Bandit

RX Bandit Sell You Beautiful »

[ ] Yes
    [ ] No
    [ ] HisXLNC

And why.

I'm a mid-20s urban elitist type that spends a lot of time outside when I'm not working [and I have a dog]. Definitely not buying this to be practical in the city, so I don't need a lecture on that. :o

I will be commuting and parking this in the garage downtown every day but it really is more for "outside" stuff on weekends and holidays. Outside stuff at the moment/in the near future includes paintballing, snowboarding and friends have lakehouses that require driving off road/hick road conditions...

Are there any reasons to consider something else [if so what]? I looked through the Land Rovers and was underimpressed. The Suburban is too big. H2 is way too big. H3 wins? I like the Hummer tag/status I won't lie. :o

I've only owned sports cars up until this point (LT1 Camaro Z28, Mazda RX-7 FD etc.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  2. Bitter Moose

Bitter Moose OT Supporter

The closest Cadillac dealership to me is also a Hummer dealer, and they give out H3 loaners. Anyway, I had an H3 loaner about 3 weeks ago. I really liked it at first, but the more I drove it I realized it was incredibly underpowered. It's fine around town, but try and pass on the highway and you'll find yourself putting you're foot to the floor and still not getting much response. The interior space is pretty pathetic considering how large of a vehicle it is. The steering wheel only had about 3 different height adjustments and none of them suited me. I will say it handles very well and rides pretty nicely. It feels like a Hummer for the most part. cruising at 65 the wind resistance builds up and the car just felt a little shaky. The visibility is pretty pathetic. You can barely see out the back window and the others are all so small that it makes changing lines a chore. All that said, overall I enjoyed the vehicle. It's biggest downfall is that it's very very underpowered though. I realize they're putting a V8 in it now, but the "alpha" model starts at about 40k I think. I wouldn't be able to justify spending 45k for this vehicle. I'd suggest you drive it a few times before you make a decision. You can pick about any other SUV in the 40k range that's going to totally outclass this car in power and interior comfort especially. I'm going to be buying a new vehicle in about 6 months and I'm currently considering a Yukon Denali or an Infiniti QX56. I owned a Titan in the past, so I pretty much know how the QX56 drives (good power, handles pretty good for the size, but it's turning radius is just pathetic). I'm leaning towards the Yukon though. Honestly, I think that every large SUV I've ever driven was easier to drive than the mid sized H3.
    My advice: Don't rule out larger SUVs (a full sized isn't that much bigger). If you can't get something that large, then I would suggest looking at say an MDX or FX35/45 at least.

3. TechArt Dreamer

TechArt Dreamer New Member

Giving a price budget would be beneficial as well. Depending on that, I would also consider a used Cayenne/S. You can look good while driving around town, and still easily be capable of doing everything you said you do outside as well.

I am sure you will question the capabilities of the Cayenne off road, but I assure you, do not underestimate this SUV.

4. RX Bandit

Wow this was a really useful write up, thank you :)

I'm going to go read up on the MDX and the Infiniti FX series.

5. RX Bandit

Love the Cayenne but it seems outside of my price range (the ceiling I set was what the H3 is going to cost).

Are used Cayenne's good/wise/depreciating enough to hit my ballpark? I don't mind a used car, my FD had like five owners. :rofl:

6. Bitter Moose

Bitter Moose OT Supporter

I've looked at them on Autotrader before. You could probably get an 04/05 for like 35K with about 30-40k miles (rough estimates). I'd probably never own a Porsche after an awful experience with my dad's 968. I don't know much about them, but his 968 was about the most unreliable/generally awful car I've ever seen. To keep it simple it was a mechanical POS and needed serviced all the time. They might be as reliable as anything else now. I sure would do a lot of homework before buying one though.

7. mtnbikekid08

mtnbikekid08 Aime-moi moins, mais aime-moi longtemps

Offroading? Why look at luxury cars? They are all meant for the road in the end, no matter how you think about it. You're better off getting some sort of jeep.
    Why not look at a wrangler?

8. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

No.

I've driven a 5cyl with intake/exhaust/chip. It was still slow, my cherokee gets to speed better. Rear seat is weird, too close to the floor, can't get your legs comfortable. Gun slit windows and tailgate mounted spare makes for shit visibility.

GM orange peel paint, but thats expected.

DO NOT WANT.

Look at an Xterra, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser, etc.

9. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

they should be available with a v8 this year

10. IslanderOffRoad

still will suck

11. mtnbikekid08

2nd on the FJ Cruiser

12. mtnbikekid08

Ever look to see that about 90% of the time, it's a woman driving. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

13. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

Im wishin i bought a GC. I love those things

14. IslanderOffRoad

Same with EVERY other SUV, including the H3

GC is capable.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a H3 is just as capable as a GC.

16. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

This guy sounds like he wants a vehicle mostly in the city and some backroads on the weekend. Don't go for the H3 b/c you are spending way too much for what you are getting (the inline 5 cyl is pathetic). Just go for the Xterra or Pathfinder if you want something with a little more power and ability to handle some trails. If you want something you can build up easily and wheel a lot, then go for the jeep as there are unlimited number of aftermarket parts for them.
    The FJ has a stout engine and wheels pretty well, but the awkward four doors and low visibility may not make it the best commutable vehicle for you.

I would say you can get a loaded Xterra or Pathfinder for what you were looking to spend on the H3 (maybe a few $$ less)

17. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

Get a Wrangler Unlimited or FJ Cruiser for $10k less than the H3.

18. Read more...

Read more... SPQR

:werd:

I don't even know why the H3 is on his radar. You can get literally every option on a FJ for like $32k or Unlimited Rubicon for like $34k. Not to mention a loaded Xterra, base 4Runner, well-used Land Cruiser, loaded with factory discounted Grand Cherokee, etc... are all less than or close to $35k.

As is pretty obvious, there are other, more practical/capable/cheaper things I'd get than a H3.

19. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Why not just buy a nice Envoy or Tahoe :dunno:

20. mtnbikekid08

Because they suck. :ugh:

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you weren't impressed by a Rangie, then you won't be impressed by an H3.

22. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

sure ... if you're a faggot.

23. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Tahoe is nice. Envoy is not.

24. Pavester

Pavester New Member

get a used xj and wheel it.

25. IslanderOffRoad

I don't think he's looking for a wheeling toy.