MMA Hughes: Two More Fights Before Retirement

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by jmx2323, Nov 11, 2006.

1. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

Hughes: Two More Fights Before Retirement

November 11, 2006
    by Greg Savage ([email protected])

There have been rumblings from the Miletich camp for several months that UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes (Pictures) was considering winding down his extraordinary career.

Hughes recently confirmed to Sherdog.com that he indeed plans on fighting out his current UFC contract, which will have one bout left following his title defense against Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) on Nov. 18, before retiring from active participation in the sport of mixed martial arts.

The question was first broached when Hughes was asked where he saw himself a year from now. “Hopefully retired with my family back home,” the UFC welterweight champion responded.

“In a perfect world” Hughes declared that he would “fight a couple more times, retire, [and] go back home.”

Hughes cited the strain of being away from family, including a newborn daughter, as motivation for hanging up his four-ounce gloves.

The two time UFC champ, who stands at 40-4-0, made it clear he has come to a point where the benefits of fighting are far outweighed by the negatives that come along with it.

Hughes, 33, did leave open the possibility, should he get past a very tough St. Pierre, of moving up in weight to face UFC 185-pound champion Anderson Silva in hopes of becoming the first fighter to concurrently hold UFC titles in multiple weight classes

2. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

Fuck Dana White if he doesn't give BJ his rubber match.

3. xinster

xinster New Member

fuck him anyway if he gives arlovski his 4th silvia fight before bj gets his 3rd

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

bj this bj that....he has not won a fight since he has come back.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  5. teep

teep New Member

Haha, this place is beginning to sound alot like sherdog

6. xinster

xinster New Member

true :(

7. wired3758

wired3758 New Member

not sure what else he's got to prove, if he beats gsp and that's a great fight, people will want a 3rd match there too.
    really we just want good fights.
    i'm happy to take a chance on watching new matchups instead of repeated rematches in the hope of real battles.

8. Kuet

Kuet New Member

i think after he gets beat by GSP ( yes fuckers , it WILL happen ) he will be forced to fight the rubber match .... people will want to see the gsp/hughes rubber match more than penn/hughes b/c most will feel like the 2nd fight between bj/hughes was not exactly earned...while GSP earned his title shot.... i really doubt hughes would want to mix it up with silva ... i dont see him pulling off any sort or chonan.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2006
  9. n99nyrwg

n99nyrwg New Member

Hughes just said on the TUF 4 final that he has a few years left in him and no plans to retire soon.

10. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

yeah I heard that too, I guess you can say one thing and think another, which is which we wont ever know.

11. teep

teep New Member

Assuming you meant Silva and not Franklin, I think Hughes has the right style to beat Silva. Yeah Silva is a black belt in bjj, but Hughes is at that level. Combine that with his wrestling and ground and pound and I think he could pull out a decision. Weight wouldn't be a problem because Hughes cuts so much anyway, and he'd neutralize the reach disadvantage by just running Silva into the fence. He wouldn't even try to stand with him.

12. Kuet

Kuet New Member

yes thats what i meant... :wtc:

13. GSPFAN

GSPFAN New Member

I have a lot of doubt in that article now that I heard Matt say at TUF4 UFN that he has NO PLANS of retiring anytime soon. He said "I have a lot of years left in me, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon".

Sherdog is just another media source and media always puts spins on things. I take the fact that it came from the mouth of him much more credible.

The fact is GSP will beat him and then Hughes and Penn will fight to see who gets to rematch GSP. I GUARANTEE THIS WILL HAPPEN. who wants to bbet me $1,000 on this?

14. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

hughes wont have to rematch Penn to get another shot at GSP. ill put 100 on the fact that he has an auto rematch in the fight contract.