huge, smelly, stinky issue... It's making me sick.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by FindersKeepers, Jul 7, 2008.

1. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

in my 2005 Sierra, whichever DUMBASS installed the previous XM unit before I bought the truck simply poked a hole through the rubber grommet that conceals all the wiring that runs to the door...

Problem with this is, water used to hit this area, and simply roll down the XM wire, straight into the cab, dumping into the passenger side floor, this I didn't discover until just last week... I've noticed the smell getting more and more pungant for a few weeks, sometimes its bad, sometimes its not there.

When I was detailing the truck last sunday, (wash, clay, wax, seal, etc) I took the floor mat out to vacuum and noticed it was soaked, my whole passenger side area was filled with water.

Thats when I noticed the wire, the hole and the water leaking into the grommet (being that I washed the truck it filled even more with water).

I lifted the carpet up and got nearly knocked out by the horrible, horrible smell of dank, old rotten water..

Here are my questions:
    What is the best way to dry out the bottom of the carpet (the rubber mat it is attached to), the underlying metal, and worse, the underlying insulation pad??

What is the best way to get this awful odor out and GONE?

The hole has been sealed, and I have tested for leak an there is no more.

I have taken the shop vac to it but it hasn't completely dried out.... Taking the seats out and the carpet is do-able, but not feaseable as it is my only vehicle to drive, and I don't ride the bike in the rain, and it rains daily here.

Would a damprid with the carpet pulled up work to get it dry-er?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You might have to replace the backing and scrub down the floorpan with a disinfectant. Once you get it clean and all the mold and fungus is gone, once it dries the funk should be gone.

3. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Give $500 to a detailer that specializes in mold/mildew. The padding has to be chucked, the floors disinfected, and the carpet cleaned and dried thoroughly. If any mold, mildew, or moisture is overlooked...back comes the smell.

Mold/mildew is a problem that few do-it-yourselfers fix successfully.

4. quamen

quamen New Member

i had the same type of issue with my truck and would suggest the following. i personally would remove the whole carpet from the interior, because the water most likely got further back then the actual spot where your lifting it.

The padding is most likely shot, so i would tear that off and dry the back of the carpeting. you can actually buy that type of padding very cheaply and would replace it, to keep road noise down etc. Clean the floor and seal any areas where rust my have formed from the water especially on the welded joints. Hopefully you have access to an ozone generator as well.

Replace everything and you will be set to go. I know it seems like a god awful process, but i have done it before, it was on a std cab s10 though, so it took a couple hours.

you can also lift up the carpet and put a blower underneath the carpet to circulate the air around, since you said you have to drive the vehicle. Personally on a nice truck you care about, i would wait until your day off and do it right by taking the interior apart. they also sell some tablets that absorb the moisture and can be chucked out after use.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

2 cans of lysol.

6. FindersKeepers

its not moldy at all I just went over it completely, but it just STINKS horribly like old water thats sat in a bucket/cup/etc for a week or more

No vinegar/water or anything like that type of mix will help?

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

This is the best advice so far, remove & replace. Hang the carpet upright and let both sides air dry. Worst case you may end up replacing the jute pad at a cost of $30-$40.

8. FindersKeepers

the underlay/insulation pad in mine is 121.56 :wtc:

it spans the whole floor of the truck :wtc:

9. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

OEM/Factory?

Just get generic jute from the internets or local supplier, its $6-$10 per square yard. I can't imagine a full size pickup needing more than 4 total. Then cut to fit, it aint rocket science.

10. FindersKeepers

Set a damprid in there and it's has started to help some

Im actually tempted to cut the underlay where its gotten wet and throw it in the washer on super ass gentle clean with a bit of vinegar.

11. FindersKeepers

Well

I pulled the passenger seat, pulled the carpet up to the center console, put some wood blocks to hold it up then did the same with the jute

Saturated it in ZorbX and set a box fan to blow into the cab

Took 2 days but its dry, and smell is gone :bowdown:

waxed the cab floor while I was at it just in case for a bit of protection