A&P HUGE Photoshoot... Yale University's Beinecke Library & MORE! (3MB/56K=NO)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by COMplex, Jan 3, 2004.

?

Your Thoughts...

1. Excellent Photos!

50.0%
  2. Not bad, But not great either

50.0%
  3. Very Crappy :(

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. COMplex

COMplex New Member

Hey all, for my first post here on OT, i'd like to show you some photos i took last night. Comments are welcome!

!LOTS OF PICS TO LOAD!!!

so here's some reading while you wait:

Beinecke Library Building Info
    On Hewitt University Quadrangle and adjacent to the Sterling Memorial Library, was completed in 1963. The donors were Edwin J. Beinecke, Class of 1907, Frederick W. Beinecke, PH.B. 1909, Mrs. Walter Beinecke, whose husband was in the Class of 1910, and other members of the family. The building is constructed of translucent, gray-veined Vermont Montclair Danby marble, framed by shaped light warm gray Vermont Woodbury granite. The low-ceiling entrance expands into the exhibition hall; around its perimeter is a mezzanine approached by two stairways. The floor surrounding the sculpture court contains the reading room, facilities for scholars, a catalogue and reference room, curator offices, and other rooms and equipment for the proper use of the books and manuscripts. The stacks will accommodate 800,000 volumes for which temperature and humidity controls are provided. Gordon Bunshaft of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill was the architect. The court is made of white Imperial Danby marble and framed in granite. Isamu Noguchi designed it. Intended to evoke the imagination, the massive symbolic sculptures are a sun (energy), a pyramid (geometry of the earth, or of the past), and a cube (chance).

Images
    [​IMG]
    a dark ally in new haven

[​IMG]
    same ally, different angle ;)

[​IMG]
    The Beinecke Library

[​IMG]
    Granite ledge that overlooks the stone sculptures in the sub level 'garden'

[​IMG]
    Wide shot of the whole building, i tried to move that tree, but it was waaay too heavy for me =(

[​IMG]
    A nice shot of the building's corner

[​IMG]
    Yet another angle of the library

[​IMG]
    The low level ceiling of the library's base

[​IMG]
    A lonely set of stairs I found at the back of the complex

[​IMG]
    I'm fond of this angle I got while kneeling in the stairwell ;)

[​IMG]
    Pillars on the adjacent University Commons building

[​IMG]
    Looking down a grate into an underground tunnel

[​IMG]
    Closer shot of the base and tinted glass

[​IMG]
    I love reflections!

[​IMG]
    Another reflective shot

[​IMG]
    Final shot before my camera battery died... And the cause for me spending $60 on a second battery ;x

For my first photo set of 2004, i went with two friends to the desolate Yale campus in New Haven tonight and what you see above are the majority of photos i took. That library is amazing! the marble is actually translucent. yes, light actually travels through the stone!!! i need to get you guys some shots of the inside...

Hope you enjoy!

2. eof

eof New Member

what kind of camera?

3. COMplex

COMplex New Member

It's a Sony DSC-V1 I picked up back in September to replace the older DSC-S50 that was stolen from me.

I love the V1 !

4. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

rule of 1/3s would help a lot in most of the pics. its really harsh to see a line smack down or across the middle of a pic.

i really like the lighting from the outdoor building shots. did you use a tripod?

5. COMplex

COMplex New Member

well, i'm still pretty much a noob to the photography thing. its a hobby i just started getting into. no schooling or training at all, so i'll take all the advice i can get.

can you give me an exaple of this 1/3s rule you speak of and what pics you say there's lines in the middle ya know? i'm not too sure which ones you mean.

as for the lighting, i set my camera's white balance to more of a blue hue because i didn't want to show the natural gray dullness of the building.

and yes, i did use a tripod. tripod is a must with long exposure shots :)

6. redna

redna New Member

rule of 1/3 is basically that things look better to the human eye if it is slightly off center on a line of 1/3.

i.e. divide your photo like a tic tac toe board and take pics that the feature is on one of the lines, or at a cross, etc. rather than directly in the center.

Centering works great for portraits but most landscape, architecture, etc photography looks better off center.

7. redna

redna New Member

pic 15 would be a great pic if you would have cut off the beam/wall on the left hand side and opened it up more to the street on the right.

8. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

[​IMG]

keep the heavy lines in a pic lined up with those lines on that grid. and place the things you want the eye to focus on first on the places those line cross each other.

thats how ive always learned it. http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/compose_expose/thirds.html

this pic, http://photography.plex.nu/2004/2004-01-01/2004-01-01_024.JPG has a big black line going right down the middle.

this one, http://photography.plex.nu/2004/2004-01-01/2004-01-01_009.JPG kinda makes you eye create a line going right down the middle.

these are my opinions of course.

9. COMplex

COMplex New Member

wow thanks for that link!! thats cool!

as for the examples of shots i took

http://photography.plex.nu/2004/2004-01-01/2004-01-01_024.JPG
    i see what you mean about this one ;x

http://photography.plex.nu/2004/2004-01-01/2004-01-01_009.JPG
    but i definitly tried to do this on purpose. i spent extra time making it center.

i see what you're saying and i'll try some of the 1/3 for next shoot i go on.

10. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

you have some nice work... any particular reason you shot in tungstun white balance mode, or was it done on purpose?

11. COMplex

COMplex New Member

i dont know what tungstun is, but i shot in this white balance because i liked the chilly blue hue that came with it.

if i set to actual white balance, it appeared really dull boring and gray.

the blue really makes these IMO

12. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

yea the blue makes it look really :cool:

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

(refering to "but i definitly tried to do this on purpose. i spent extra time making it center" )