MMA Huerta

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by whup, Aug 29, 2007.

1. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

I was going to post it in the pic thread that turbodude made, but thought it might warrant its own.

I think most people here believe that Huerta is protected and untested. And I'm not really arguing that in this thread.

I have to say, he seems like a much nicer guy that what was first made out.

He also genuinely seems to be getting better. I was waiting for him to get subbed in the Crane fight, but he got out of quite a few submissions. And what impressed me is that he pushed the pace and actually kept putting himself in danger instead of getting it back to the feet. I think he easily could have gotten Crane stood up near the end of the second round and teed off on him, but he didn't.

While I was shaking my head thinking he needed to stand up instead of diving into Crane's guard, I can't begrudge that the dude wants to put on a good fight and will put himself in harm's way to do so.

As much as I didn't really like Huerta and was waiting for his bandwagon to get derailed, I can't help but root for the guy now. Sure he's not elite yet but he's better than what I first surmised I think, and he's getting better.

Anyone else's opinion of him changed slightly?

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

no, since he hasn't fought any better talent i have no idea if he is getting better.

sorry, i didnt want to bring up that fact again, but it kind of puts a damper on me considering him to be any better than before.

3. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

i think we'll obviously find out more as he fights better fighters.. i feel like he will still be protected to a certain degree but his opposition will get better.. i would like to see him fight melvin cokehead guillard but i doubt thats going to happen anytime soon.. it would be interesting to see him fight a lw with ko power

4. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

Huerta is pretty solid but he doesn't have KO power in his hands, I think he's never KO'd anyone he's fought. but then again he fights at 155 where fighters are not known for thier one punch KO power.

just sucks to be primarily a striker/gnp'er without knockout power.

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Yeah, i feel bad for Fedor

6. DrDickAction

DrDickAction She needs more of ze punishment!

:rofl:

7. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

19 fights won
    10 by KO/TKO
    3 Subs
    4 Decisions
    2 Other (lol sherdog?)

Oh yeah and 3 of his last 4 wins were by TKO. Absolutely no knockout power.

8. darkjedi

since when is fedor primarily a striker and gnp'er? hasn't he submitted 15 out of 20something people that he fought?

fedor is a different beast and cannot be put into that category, you cannot clasiffy fedor as primarily anything because he will beat your ass anywhere you take the fight.

bringing fedor up in a MMA discussion to make a point is like brining up the Nazi's to win an arguement.

9. DrDickAction

DrDickAction She needs more of ze punishment!

At the very least, he's entertaining. What a fun fight before Crane gassed.

Of all of Dana's pets, this guy is the only one they should keep around. So much more enjoyable to watch than tito or bisping.

10. darkjedi

TKOing someone doesn't mean you Knocked them out.. it could be corner stoppage, injury or being stopped via ref because the opponent is overwhelemed by strikes/ fighter could not intelligently defend himself.

he hasn't KO'd anyone i know of. he should have KO'd Garcia if he had ko power, he landed a shitload of powershots.

11. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Huerta's awesome, he's a good fighter and he's entertaining as fuck. Quit hatin.

12. acidix

It means you punched someone until they could not continue, be it corner or ref stoppage. The end result is the same.

13. darkjedi

not at all arguing the fact that all his matches are pretty entertaining he is def. solid and would beat the shit outta me. just making an observation about his striking power.

14. Kenny Dalglish

wasnt it a while back and it wasnt official or something?

15. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Overturned because of "greasing"

16. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Fedor is known as the king of GnP. If I were to say he has any one dominant style it would be GnP. His stand up is not world class. His BJJ is not world class. His wrestling is not, his sambo is.

So yes, I would say he is a Sambo or GnP fighter without KO power.

stop being so sensitive.

Wow, you don't know what a knockout is? :ugh:

17. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

I wont argue that while entertaing, that fact above will never win you a championship, a better fighter will catch you. fact is I think he would lose to Sherk, Franca, Stevenson, and BJ.

18. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

i was watching the show with a friend that trained bjj for several years. He actually had a few sessions with crane several years back and said he was definitely world class. Throughout the fight he called crane on using too many gi tactics...it just wasn't working for him. I can't tell these things :dunno:

19. acidix

KO drops someone and they're unconscious, ref stops fight because fighter cannot continue, listed as a knockout due to the unconsciousness of fighter.

TKO fighter is getting beaten so badly the ref feels the fighter cannot continue or cannot defend himself, listed as TKO because of the consciousness of fighter.

Either way the fight cannot continue because the fighter is unable to fight. The end result is the same no? Only difference is that a TKO can happen with a doctors stoppage, but the damage is still done, the fighter cannot continue because of the injury.

20. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

I've been on board since his first ufc fight.

Pushin the pace, workin standup and ground. And continually trying to learn and improve.

And he's beating everybody that the ufc (5-0) puts in front of him. 20 career fights and only one loss. Sure they're not big names, but at least he's not believing his own hype like gsp and crocop and losing when he should clearly win. (I'm not saying he's at their level)

And last he's representing for us thin, sexy, whitewashed hispanics. :mamoru:

21. Kenny Dalglish

who was guilty? was it a good fight? i'd be interested in a rematch..

22. Kenny Dalglish

he is definitely entertaining.. guaranteed to be an exciting fight which is rare these days.. i think after a few fights he can step up to fight a joe stevenson or ken-flo.. no need to put him against penn or sherk

23. Basil McRae

Basil McRae Fading the public

Huerta is what is great about MMA....Granted I went to school with him and know him personally,so I pull for him a little harder..but when the guy gets in the cage...hes entertaining, and gets the job done...and when the fight is over..he is humble, respectful to his opponent, and never sits there like a retard "begging" for a title shot because of his recent success...He just goes in there..against whoever they put in front of him, and do his job like a MMA fighter should....

24. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

I don't visit sherdog so I've never heard anyone saying that he's at championship level. But who knows, his career is just starting and somehow someway things may end up in his favor.

I don't understand people getting all critical when someone supports a fighter that's not likely to be a champ.

Ill always support:
    Evan Tanner
    Nate quarry
    Babalu
    Ivan salaverry
    Huerta
    Dean lister

25. Kenny Dalglish

sherdog has 11ty billion save babalu threads and 11ty billion expel babalu threads.. and some people are saying randy > fedor..