Hub vs Router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Fachh, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Fachh

Fachh New Member

Living with 2 buddies next year
    if we arn't going wireless is there any reason to get a router over a hub?

are hubs difficult to setup?

thanks

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

The problem with a hub, or better still a switch, is that one of the PC has to as the server to able to share files with the others. The router will take of that for you.
    And just because you're not going to be using wifi doesn't mean you have to get a wifi routers, there are wired only routers that are just as good.

3. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

What?

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

you'll need a router in order to connect multiple computers to the internet. now, you can have a PC act as the router, but i'm pretty sure it'll need 2 network interfaces, one to connect to the modem and then one to connect to your internal network. the router is the piece that joins the two separate networks and "routes" traffic between them.

if you don't want to connect to the internet and can put all of the computers on a single network, then a hub/switch is fine.

current routers are incredibly easy to set up. just get one without a wireless access point built in. if you can't get a decent one without wireless, you can still get a cheap 802.11g wireless router and then just turn off the wireless access so you don't have someone break in or steal your bandwidth. the benefit of going this way is that you can easily add wireless access later without much of a price premium.

5. BladedThesis

BladedThesis New Member

Has to act as.

6. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

actually, what worf68k said was inaccurate. you don't need a router to share files. you need it to share an internet connection.

7. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Boy is this thread full of fail ...

You can not share an internet connection with hub or switch and the DSL/cable modem troupaz??

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Not really :ugh: Knowing the audience helps. Technically you can share the internet with a hub. But you just don't do that since the ISP would have to give out x number of public IPs, not to mention the security risk that this person obviously doesn't know/hasn't thought about.

A wireless router is the way to go as previously mentioned - the price point is negligible and it's easy enough to disable the wireless part.

9. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i said a router is needed to share an internet connection, though Windows has that internet sharing tool to allow it to sit between the internet and your internal network, thus making it behave as a router.

EDIT: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126 - how to setup WinXP to share an internet connection. what is required is a host with 2 network interfaces, one connected to the Internet connection and one to an internal network. that's exactly what i posted above.

anwyay, you might want to read through the response before jumping to the wrong conclusion next time. :)

10. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Where the fuck do you see him mention anything about using setting this up for internet use?
    And where the FUCK do you see that I said he needs a router to share files? Fucking brain dead.

I simply said that using a hub would be a bad idea be it for file sharing, let alone for internet access.

He said he didn't want to use wireless and basically asked which is better; a hub or router.
    Now assuming that this more for a LAN for file sharing then the hub would work but to me would still be a bad idea. However if the internet is going to be needed as well, then well no fucking shit that a router would be best to use...other wise then one PC would need 2 NICs and then the hub could be used, which is still a bad idea.

11. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

this guy was asking about a router with him and 2 roommates. the most typical use here would be for sharing an Internet connection, not simply sharing files between them.

your first statement implied that sharing files had anything to do with a router which it does not. you say that a router will take care of acting as the server to share files. it will not. a NAS (network attached storage) will, but all a router does is route traffic between two distinct networks. so, your first post made no sense whatsoever.

12. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

no.

13. Fachh

Fachh New Member

at my house im just using a hub and the isp gives us 2 IP's so both computers are wired and connected to the internet

hubs are much cheaper so I am just seeing whats the advantage of a router over a hub

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

If you have 3 computers, 2 ips aren't going to be enough unless you take turns. A router allows you to present 1 ip to the outside world and have any number internally.
    One other benefit of using a router is that your computers aren't directly accessible from the internet unless you specifically configure them to be. So, your pc has less chance of being port scanned and having open flaws exploited.

15. Bruticus

A proper router (some routers are just sold as mis-labled hubs) does much more than a hub will do and allows for much more flexibility for the network. They are generally pretty cheap nowadays as well so unless you are really hard up on cash there is no reason not to get one.

16. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Just get a router... It wont run you more than $40 or $50 especially since you don't need a wireless one...

17. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Well I'm so fucking glad I have you around to put words into my mouth.

18. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

good thing i am since the words you've come up with on your own are wrong. refer to Cthalupa's post. :mamoru:

19. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yeah, Wolf, you may have meant something else but what you've actually typed out is a clusterfuck.

20. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

unless you have multiple IP addresses assigned to you by your ISP you'll need a router to do NAT.

21. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

p07r0457...? is that you?

22. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

They dont even make hubs anymore.

Get a router. It's what you want.

23. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i have like 3-4 10MB hubs laying around here :rofl: they still work, and they do still make hubs! i've seen some before, although i don't know why you wouldn't just get a switch. same price pretty much.

24. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Wow, what a mess.

Just in case the OP is still around, a router is a switch that isolates your machines from the rest of the internet, and gives each machine a private IP address, and handles translating traffic from your machines to the internet. It lets you connect a (theoretically) infinite number of machines to a single internet connection, and it keeps hackers and spyware from being able to get onto your machines as easily because they're not directly connected to the internet. It's a good idea to use a router, even if you don't think you need one.

Now, if you ran out of network jacks on the router, you would plug a switch into it to get more jacks, and everything would still work fine because the router would still coordinate traffic between all of the machines plugged into it, directly or indirectly.

As for hubs, nobody uses them anymore. There's no reason to; they do the same thing as a switch, but they do it less efficiently.

25. Bruticus

Yeah I've got a few 16 port ones lying around, sooo old :rofl:

Just a slight correction on deus' post, a router doesn't necessarily give each machine a private IP address, it routes to each machines unique (in that network) IP address.