HU install Q

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by float, Jun 8, 2004.

1. float

float New Member

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]I bought a Metra Wiring harness and dash kit. Now should I splice the wires from the supplied wiring in my Kenwood with the harness wires then just go outside and plug everything in? That should get it done right? [/font][font=verdana, arial, helvetica]And should I solder the wires together or is electrical tape adequate?[/font]

2. DaddyThirdLeg

DaddyThirdLeg SMASH puny humans

correct
    solder is better but tape is easier :dunno: up to you really.

3. On_One

On_One Guest

Just use crimp type butt connectors.

IMO soldierng (when doing a HU install) is a pain in the ass, time consuming, and does not offer any really benift over a solid crimp connection.

4. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I guess I'm weird, I'd rather solder than crimp, I hate crimping, especially with those little wires

5. Dr.JuliusHibbard

Dr.JuliusHibbard New Member

except that the solder connection is now the strongest point in the wire...which for a h/u may be over kill...but seriously, it takes me MAYBE 5 min more to solder a harness than crimp it.

6. On_One

On_One Guest

Strongest point in the wire? I can break a solder joint before i can pull two wires out a butt connector. It's all personal preference though. I see zero advantage of soldering over crimping.

Also most people i have seen solder are not very good it. I've seen so many cold solders it aint even funny.