HU from Best Buy

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WannaBFast, Jan 2, 2004.

1. WannaBFast

WannaBFast New Member

I received a Best Buy $150 gift certificate to get a cd/mp3 player for my car. What's the best one I can get for around $150? Right now I'm leaning towards the Pioneer DEH-P4500. Any suggestions?

2. 04

04 Guest

You are just using the stock speakers right? Do you plan on upgrading your speakers in the future?

That Pioneer should work fine.

3. WannaBFast

WannaBFast New Member

stock speakers. no real plans to upgrade in the future. if i do upgrade then it would only be the stock speakers front/back. what speakers would be good to get?

4. 04

04 Guest

That would depend on the price you want to spend, and what your acoustic preferences are.

5. WannaBFast

WannaBFast New Member

I don't want to spend too much, but I do want better quality sound than my stock speakers give me. Will the HU give me better quality sound with my stock speakers?

I don't know what you mean be acoustic, but I would like clear crisp sound with more bass than my stock speakers can give me. I don't want subs though...

6. 04

04 Guest

Well, you should get a little bit louder sound with a new deck, unless your factory system has outboard amplifiers or something like that.

Aftermarket speakers will usually sound better and give you better bass, but they will be less efficient usually and consequently sound less loud with deck power.

7. WannaBFast

WannaBFast New Member

Hmm... Okay I went to Best Buy to purchase the deck. I also had to get a dash kit, wiring kit and speaker savers... Did I really need the speaker savers? The sales person said that I should get them in order to "save" my stock speakers from blowing out, and if and when I do get aftermarket speakers it'll enchance the sound quality. Did I really need to get these (4 of them for 4 speakers)?

Oh and they also recommended a 4 year warranty on the deck. I passed on it, but I have the opportunity to still get it... should I? Damn I feel like such a tool...

8. 04

04 Guest

No, the salesman was telling you complete bullshit. A bass blocker is a simple electronic component called a capacitor. This capacitor would block the bass if the speaker was a more simple electronic device called a resistor, but it isnt.

Because a speaker is more complex, its reaction with this capacitor creates peaking, which in turn creates MORE bass in many cases.

I bet the "bass blockers" were at least 5-10 dollars a pair. They make substantial profits on them, much like the esoteric monstor cables they sell.

I would see if you could return them.

I probably wouldnt get the extended warranty.

9. WannaBFast

WannaBFast New Member

Ya, they were $10.99 for a pair. The salesman said they hook it up to the deck and it'll save my stock speakers from blowing... I'll take your word on this and return them.

IBmystockspeakersblow

10. dylix

dylix Guest

do you're research on the net. take EVERYTHING the people at bestbuy say with a grain of salt. they are all cocksuckers!