COMIC http://www.theanimenetwork.com/

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Scud, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Scud

Scud I'm an aquired taste.

2. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

That network is going to be gay, and not because the shows are in english (which they should be).

3. AsianRage

AsianRage Know about Media Ventures?

I think it was suppose to be "shouldn't"

4. Scud

Totally agreed. It's like watching Scooby Doo in Chinese or something(I've heard it in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean), something just isn't right about it. (although the Shaggy voice tends to be amusing anywhere in the world)

5. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Yet we manage to get many titles with fabulous english dialogue released in North America, widening the appeal of many of these shows. I also find that in many dubs the voice also fits the character, and many are now being done with great attention paid to be as true as possible to the original dialogue and voice acting.

Cowboy Bebop is a prime example, and a show I find unwatchable in japanese personally. But there are many others in my collection that I prefer dubbed (of course there are others I can't stand dubbed).

I don't have to put up with ugly subtitles marring the picture, I don't have to sit as close to my television to read them, and my eyes don't have to keep glancing down to catch what the characters are saying.

Subtitle/japanese language elitism is a laughable part of the anime hobby, almost as much so as bad cosplaying.

Really, if you prefer subtitles, you are probably old enough to own the title on DVD and get it subtitled and unedited, just the way you want it.

6. Scud

I'm not going to say your wrong in any way here Tri, I've respected your posts and views for a long while now... well most :p

But I'm the total opposite. I feel that the american voice actors don't capture the characters at all, they make them sound so rigid and cardboard like. Everything sounds so forced out of them.... like trying to hard.

But also, just like the domestic animations here, the voice actors really are the ones to give life to the characters. After watching anything in its native tongue, its hard to even compare to another.. there are acceptions as you also point out, Oh My Goddess! is one of my favorites dubbed :)

But man, watching Cartoon network is like taking a cheese grater to my shins and then taking a walk in the ocean...