HTPC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Stev, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Stev

Stev Active Member

Looking to stream/play high def from an Old PC i have laying around.

What are the CPU + GPU Requirements to play high def content ?

Edit:
    P4 2.54ghz
    1.5gb ram
    ATi x1050

Old equipment i know, but i keep reading mixed reviews on my search of what an HTPC needs to work well.

Looking up the stats on my card i get
    I know that the information might not be the exact thing im looking for, but i dont know to what level of throughput i need for CPU + GPU is required.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  2. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

I don't know what others recommend, but this is mine...

P4 1.8GHz, 1GB (2x512MB) DDR PC2100, PNY GeForce 7600GS 512MB
    (VGA output to a Dell 17" Wide LCD and DVI to the TV)

I connect my computer to the TV via DVI. My TV is a Samsung 1080i Hi-Def tube. I run the HTPC in 1080i format output. I don't have any high def video per say, but I get zero noticable display lag (be it watching video or playing games).

Sidenote: I recently purchased the Microsoft Entertainment Desktop 7000 from buy.com and am liking it so far. It is a bit more expensive b/c its Bluetooth, but that gives you the necessary range (I only paid $79 for it since I signed up for the Buy.com Chase credit card and was approved).

3. Stev

Stev Active Member

what quality are u playing the video at?

I would be looking for some desent quality stuff, but your card is definately beefier than my old dog.

4. dissonance

I use WMP for my video playback mainly. All programs I have that play video are set for the highest quality playback.

5. Stev

Stev Active Member

So thats probably not in high def..

referencing Microsoft's website for high def WMP playback.

For some reason a 384mb of RAM and especially 64mb video card a very modest for rendering true high def video.

6. dissonance

What I don't get is how it isn't high def. High def refers to the number of pixels/lines being displayed on the TV. The 'i' and 'p' refer to just whether its interlaced or progressive. The TV is still displaying the same number of pixels at the same frame rate (assuming video card can keep up) for a crappy quality video or a blu-ray when its set to display the 1080i resolution.

Its still 1920x1080 and the nothing is done to the video like in a game.

7. Stev

Stev Active Member

I guess maybe i should clarify, i plan on playing high def movies streaming from my hard drive and player in DVD9 and blu-ray format.

ive done a bit of research and come up with articles such as http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3047&p=1

which shows systems spec's used
    and yielding results below when displaying high def with PowerDVD, with their P4 which is definately moar powerful thatn my puney little 2.54ghz with 533mhz FSB, nearly maxing out with cards that are way more powerful than my old card.
    [​IMG]

And yet i can find countless sites that say my setup is more than suffecient. Like Microsoft.

The difference then is the blu-ray encoding to display it?

Can someone that knows this stuff give me some pointers here please? :x:

8. dissonance

fuck, forgot about that.... ok.. im done.

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

10. Stev

Stev Active Member

11. dissonance

After noticing my fault, I attemped to stream some HD tv from abc.com's website and noticed significant lag. So, a 1.8GHz P4 is not able to play 1080 content without lag.

It was not my internet connection as the stream buffering was consistently ahead of my moment of playback (whatever you call that)....

I don't think this helps you much since your specs are > than mine, but just thought I would share.

Sorry for my ignorance as to the subject. I don't know how I forget about the fact that the cpu has to decode the video....

12. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

3ghz recommended for 720p, low end dual core for 1080p. Of course, the higher your equipment, the lower the resource usage will be so it will run cooler and probably quieter.

13. Stev

Stev Active Member

basicly its looking like my machine is just too old unless i wanna re-encode everything to a lower quality. bleh.