Htpc...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stosh, Jan 5, 2005.

1. stosh

stosh BUBBLE BUTT BOBBY MAC

Anybody know of any good online "how to" guides.

I know how to build computers I just want to know what else to consider when building and HTPC up.

I want to totally get rid of my amp but what do I need to know to power my existing speakers?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you need an amp... bottom line.

As for building a HTPC, what do you want it to do? Music, movies, games, etc?

You need to worry about CPU/RAM -- a normal MCE box requires 1GB+ of fast ram and 2.4GHz+ on the CPU.

Video card depends. MCE likes a DX9 compliant card, so ATi 9550 or nVidia FX5200 or higher will get you going. Obviously if you game you'll want even better. What to look for in a card depends on what you're gonna use as a display. S-Video is the worst I'd use. But some TVs support DVI (prefered). If you don't have DVI, but have component (not composite) then use that. Make sure you get a card that supports the best input method your display has.

For radio and tv tuning, you need a card. ATi cards suck. Hauppage cards are pretty lame, in my book. So far the best luck I've had with MCE is with the NVTV cards. The 16MB version is a great single-tuner card, and the 32MB version is a great dual-tuner card.

For sound, get a good card. Something like an M-Audio.

For the OS, you have a bunch of options. Linux is one -- but that's prolly not what you're going for. Windows XP and Sage.tv would work. My favorite is definitely Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

3. stosh

stosh BUBBLE BUTT BOBBY MAC

Yeah I was thinking about the XP media center.

Damn I was hoping to do EVERYTHING with the HTPC and get rid of my AMP. I do want to watch movies/ TV Tuner/ Audio Tuner/ CD Player

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I'm also in the process of building a HTPC..

There is a good forum section on hardforum.com, and on avsforum.com..

Read the forum @ both of those sites and you'll learn more then you'll ever want to know about HTPC's.

5. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Yeah. What they said....

I use XP SP2, w/ BeyondTV. Used to use Sage but switched a while back and I am loving it. Biggest complaint in my book when I first built the machine 2 years ago was noise. Invest in good truly silent Power Supply, and cooling fans. Also silent or ultra quiet Hard Drives are a big plus. Also remember that if you plan on having surround sound, be sure the Sound Card you choose has the mode you want ie. 5.1, 6.1 , 7.1 and that the connections will fit your receiver properly. Buy a good remote but be sure you research to make sure the remote you buy is going to work with the Software Setup you choose. I use a Logitech Haramony 688. A good wireless mouse/keyboard is also a plus. I use the Gyration Ultra GT Compact with Gyroscopic mouse...

Just my 2¢