HTPC Signal problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bencorn, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Alright I'm running my media center PC through a DVI to HDMI cable to my plasma screen. Upon booting the computer the image looks crisp and fantastic. After a few hours you can notice several bars of discoloration going down the screen. After a day of being left on the color is streaked so bad that blacks look like browns and grays. Restart the computer and all is well with the world again. Could this be a bad cable? Video Card over heating? Some kind of interference from another cable behind my media center? I'm looking for any ideas guys and I've come up with next to nothing on google so far. Thanks.

2. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Deteriorating signal usually happens when the vid card is overheating. Does it do this on other TVs/Monitors?

Can you hook up the TV via DVI or VGA cable to see if the problem still persists?

3. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

It has to be the video card overheating. I bought another cable to see if it was just a bad cable and the problem did the exact same thing. I'll have to check the video card temps to see if this is the problem. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning.

4. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

Just to add something more odd to the puzzle, it doesn't seem to happen at all when I'm running VGA between the system and the TV. Any ideas?

5. Bencorn

Bencorn New Member

I'm going to tear the computer apart today and try to reseat everything and get it all dust free to see if it is a heat issue. Any other ideas as to what could be the cause or anything I should look for when I take it all apart? Thanks.