HTPC resolution issue.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tosh, May 8, 2009.

1. Tosh

Tosh Active Member

Hi everyone, I just put together a sweet HTPC and I'm working on all the tweaks and apps on it to make it work as desired...

Problem is my TV is older, it has component (P B R) only no HDMI but will do 720p. So it does HD but only analogue. My vid card has SVid (ugh) VGA and DVI.
    SVid looks like crap so I have a VGA converter to SVid or the yellow vid cable format.

Video looks ok but my real issue is text for surfing, reading file names etc... Its not as clear as I'd like, the text seems blurred. Do you think it's the fact it's a rear projection TV I'm not getting the desired effect? I will upgrade the TC next year but I want clarity now!

My TV is a Toshiba 50H82 http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-images/models/50h82/docs/50h82_spec.pdf
    Any thoughts appreciated.

2. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, you need a DVI converter. VGA doesn't address pixels directly -- the signal is timer-based instead, so if the TV is doing its job properly the RGB signals will "hit" the pixels dead-on, but it never seems to work out that way in real life.