HTPC remote question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by joefred, Feb 12, 2008.

1. joefred

joefred New Member

Right now I am kind of doing a Ghetto HTPC with my laptop and an external hard drive until I decide what I want to really make. Anyways I am somewhat stumped on one part of it. I am trying to find a cheap, but compatible USBUIR that will work with media portal and my Logitech Harmony 520 remote. Can I just get like an HP remote and receiver and use that ? Or is there anywhere I can just get a USB IR receiver that will work with any remote or that I can program to use mine? I know i can use girder if i need to as well but i just want to make sure i can find something that will work.

thanks

2. Gob

Gob Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore do OT Supporter

I've got a Streamzap remote/receiver combo on mine (I think it was like $25). The remote part is in the bin with all the others. My Harmony 550 has no problem controlling everything.
    I'm sure there are other options though.

3. joefred

joefred New Member

4. Gob

Gob Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore do OT Supporter

I just used the Streamzap configuration from Logitech. I had the Streamzap for a few months before I got the Harmony 550. Its was ok, nothing special. I all really use it for now is the USB Receiver.
    If the Harmony supports that HP, I'm sure it would work pretty similarly. If not I'd bet you can copy the signals manually.