HTPC help kinda long

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Mar 28, 2007.

1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Ive got a 2.3 athlon xp system with a gig of ddr and a sound blaster audigy2zs platinum with some hard drives I would like to use as a home theater pc.

I have no video card yet, but I do have a high def tv (480p/1080i) that takes component. The system im typing from used to be next to the tv, but is now in another room. The x800pro I have would output 480p and 1080i in 4:3 and 16:9 formats no problems and looked good. But if Im going to build a htpc I would like to step it up a notch.

The chip and ram should be good, and the mobo will do just fine, with an agp slot

video cards: Theres a few different options that I know will work, I could go expensive and buy another x800 because I know that worked, or I could go with an all in wonder card and get a few more features.
    HOWEVER
    I want to set this up for free satelite too, and I know theres a specific card for satelite and some software I can use, but thats in the future, I just want to make sure the video card I buy now is good enough to output high def and can support this later on. So thats a later topic

I see a AIW 9600pro and 9800pro, within about 20 bucks from each other. The 9800 has just a few performance benefits, that I think I will take advantage of for +20 bucks.

sound card
    Im pretty sure the audigy2zs with optical output will be good for my 6.1 system I recently built.

OS
    Is media center worth getting? I can dual/triple boot the system if neccesary, but overall for watching tv shows/dvds(from dvd drive, or stored media), playing music etc. It worked with xp, is it worth changing?

dvi-converter to component
    my tv is high def but its a little older, its a rear projection 53" with only component for HD inputs, nothing else. So I would need a converter, I found this: [​IMG] but the WEBSITE states its for NON all in wonder cards.

My x800 used a cord like this [​IMG] except without the regular rca and svideo inputs, it was just to component.

Is there a better way to output component from an all in wonder card?

also, anyone recommend any specific dvdrom brand? I would like it to be a burner, and LG has always been good in my books :dunno:

2. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

I'm using my ATI AIW 9600XT with the hdtv adapter you have listed. The components go from that adapter to my hdtv. I'm running 720p output to my 720p 42" Panny 60u hdtv and the picture quality is amazing.
    I also have a turtlebeach soundcard that has optical in and optical out. I use optical output to go to my Yamaha receiver so I can enjoy both DD5.1 and DTS. I also use the optical input to record audio when I am capturing video using the video in.

3. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

Would there be any benefits over the 9800? You are using the adapter I listed that says it does not work or the wire one w/ 5jacks?

Do you do any cable tv recording?

4. Zeromancer

I bought the 9600XT because it had a really good price at the time. The 9800 is also an excellent card for the money.
    I'm actually using a vga-->component adapter (not the dvi to component that you have in the pic) from ATI. It works perfect :bowdown:
    http://www.svideo.com/hdtvr8500.html
    I record from dishnetwork satellite, old vcr tapes I want to archive, and laserdisc movies on occassion.

5. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

whats the diff between using dvi or vga to go component?

6. Zeromancer

As for a burner I would go with a NEC 3550

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift