HTPC crew/ DVD ripping People.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, May 10, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I'm ripping some DVD's onto my HD. Their size after ripping (just the movie) is about 5gigs and that's in 5-6 parts. Would it be best to convert these to divx to save space on the HD? Would I loose much quality when viewing on my TV?

Don't know what these would be outputted to the TV as. What is divx outputted as? Does anyone know?

2. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

after LOTS of testing with different formats to get a result that had a good size, good quality, good compatability with different systems, and good for streaming, i go with the following:

mp4, h.264 encoding, 2500kbps (half DVD quality).

you can use the m4v extension if you want.

using TVersity, these stream easily to my xbox & other computers, are itunes friendly, and average about 1.7GB per movie.

they don't play on the PS3 in this format (maybe they'll add support) and i don't think WMP likes them either.

i encode them on my mac:
    - mactheripper to extract the main feature onto my hard drive
    - handbrake with the above settings to re-encode the vob's.

my TV is 1080p, and these all upscale very nicely.

3. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

found Handbrake last night and tried it out. Takes forever, but works great.

Used the same settings :bigthumb: except for the size. I stayed with Handbrake's default.

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've just been ripping movies with handbrake at 2000kbps xvid avis. they work well on my modded xbox, which upscales to my hdtv. if i really like the movie i will rip it higher quality or just play the dvd