HTPC and satellite *long with cliffs*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FyreDaug, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

PROLOG:The time has come where my digital tv from Shaw promo has expired. I was getting a wicked deal and the price has now gone way up. I called them today hoping to make a deal with them saying how im willing to cancel all services if we compromise a little on the deal. Im not gonna go too into it, but they didnt take my offer that Id pay the same as I was, but removing all the shit I never even watch, including the movie channels (movies are ON the computer) but they gave me some excuse, so we cancelled it. They were pretty solid and I usually have this way with people. Oh well, time for satellite.

So im looking to this hauppauge stuff, and iirc when I was looking into this before, there were 2 different units basically, one for cable and one for dish. They seem to go for about $120.

I'm also looking into a way to take advantage of this computer. Its still a decent quality system. Athlon 3000 with 256ddr (had 768 when it wasnt an HTPC, meaning I still have that other 512 kicking around). 9800 all in wonder, high end auzentech sound card and a shitton of storage. My boss knows a guy who works for a satelite company and would be able to get me a dish and hookup to the inside of my house for real cheap. I just wouldnt get a reciever, as Id use the computer for that.

How can I get it set up to decode a satelite signal? Could my boss's buddy help me with that or can I do it myself with software and stuff? Im definately far from computer illiterate, but this is the first htpc ive done and ive never even had satelite in my life :noes:

So basically im looking at purchasing a hauppauge card, a dish, some beer and maybe some software? What do I need to learn to do this, should I use a unix base?

who decode satellite on their computer?

CLIFFS:
    me = smart with teh computers
    first htpc ive done, and never had satellite before
    have a good system im running as an htpc
    want to take advantage of that system by decoding satellite
    know a guy who works at dish company, will get me a dish
    buy hauppauge card
    need to know what I need to learn to accomplish this, should I use a unix os?
    ???
    ???
    free satellite

2. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

I run a Hauppauge PVR-150 card on my computer with a Star Choice STB. The card came with an IR blaster that controls the STB from SageTV. SageTV i bought off the internet, and is one of the best PVR software packages I've used. It's really slick, www.sagetv.com

As far as decoding the satellite signal directly, i really don't know. I'd assume that there's a card out there that would do that, but i'm not aware of it.

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

You can do OTA (Locals) with std hdtv tuner cards. There isn't a real solution for dish/direct type setups. There was some sort of HDTV firewire editing card . . . that may work with dish setups but who knows . . .

4. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

I think there might be tuner cards for the Free-to-air dishes as well, but like i said, i've never seen one

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you need a tuner that will accept a component/dvi/hdmi input. It's gonna be pro-grade (read, nothing that Hauppage can offer and nothing you can buy at Best Buy). It's gonna cost $$$.

6. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

7. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

why do I need one that does that? Thats not what comes from the dish. Why cant I just have the dish pointed at a sat, dish cable goes to computer, software on computer decodes satelite signal, HD output via AIW card (already set up)

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

so you subscribe with star choice and they gave you the top box?

9. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

or, is there a way I can h4x shaw's digital cable? easier than satellite?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

That *is* what comes from a dish network / directv receiver. And you *do* need the receiver to decode their signal...

are you trying to steal like a douchebag

11. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

You can't really get a tuner card that will work with encrypted DBS systems. They make them for unencrypted sat stuff, but not the "small dish" systems.

For standard def a capture card with s-video and an IR blaster will work. For HD content (to stay HD content) you need what Jolly suggested, a tuner card that can capture off of component (or better).

Check out the forums at SnapStream (they make BeyondTV PVR software) for better info. I'm sure you will find everything you need to know for your specific provider and what hardware you would need.

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/index.php

12. samm

samm Next in Line

13. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

but I dont have a satellite box, im trying to use my computer as a reciever

14. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

15. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

I was thinking that from the dish the cable that goes into house could plug into computer and the computer could decode it. What if I aquired a reciever aswell? Do I still need HD inputs or can I have a card take some other input and let my 9800 AIWpro go component to the tv?

16. peerk

peerk New Member

If you do not want to watch HD channels just connect the svideo/composite outputs on the receiver to your tuner card. Then use an ir blaster or serial connection to the receiver to change channels.

17. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Exactly...then instead of hooking it up to a TV i run it into the hauppauge card. Mind you i'm only using it for SD tv with stereo sound, but I'm sure there's ways with higher end cards to get HD with 6 channel audio ;)

18. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

are those reciever card hack thingys still around? those "unlocked" ones?

19. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

conveniently I know a guy whos selling his reciever. Upgraded to hd and bought this one out 2 years ago

20. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

Dish network yes, not Directv

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you would definitely need a receiver. and you would definitely need HD inputs on the PC to view live HD content on the PC.

22. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

well the only thing the pc is there for, is content TO the TV, I dont want to watch it on the pc, thats kind of pointless, I would hook it up to the tv then if I had a reciever.

what about those unlocked cards, still around?

23. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

looking into an elvis programmer for the cards. runs on the serial line.

Does it matter who the dish is from? can I hook it up to any reciever? ie, a directv dish and a non directv reciever? Will the directv dish only pick up directv sats?

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

At this point, it's very clear you want to break the law. So this thread needs to be locked.

25. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

And here we were trying to help a brotha out . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.