html text size

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Terin_Altari, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Terin_Altari

Terin_Altari Guest

How do I set the text to a certain size on my webpage so that it doesnt change if a person has their browser set to largest or smallest. Like can I keep it at one size no matter what there browser settings are?

2. lemon_lime_koolaid

lemon_lime_koolaid We paid how much for this??

Browsers will always render the text how they want. If the user wants the font bigger...its gonna be bigger. The only thing you can do is control the server side, not the client side.

3. Terin_Altari

Terin_Altari Guest

eep

alright....Yeah my site just messes up if the font is set larger than medium....so i was hoping there would be a way. Ive been to some sites that have the font always at a certain size...such as in my hotmail inbox ;) But they use a bunch of other stuff in there so I dont really know how it stays that way.

4. lemon_lime_koolaid

lemon_lime_koolaid We paid how much for this??

There could be some settings that work with IE, since it lets anyone mess with its rendering. But if you use a good browser like Mozilla im sure you are screwed.

However, when I get home tonight Im going to hotmail to check to see if I can mess with the font size!

5. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

I could be wrong, but would using a Cascading Style Sheet solve the problem?

6. Terin_Altari

Terin_Altari Guest

Hey thanks! That did work. I didnt really know how to use CSS so I looked it up when you said it should work. Its actually pretty cool. I'll have to start using it more often now. Thanks so much for your help.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Damnit! And iwas going to suggest turning the text into jpg's ;)

8. CruD

CruD Bah, I'll just hack it

:rofl: :bigthumb: :rofl: :bowdown:

9. Blackz28

Blackz28 OT Supporter

Users can still change the font size if you are using css. There's a bit of code you can add to the end of a line of css if you dont want the browser to be able to change it.

I can't remember exactly what it is, but it's something like this:

font-size: 11px !Important;

The !important should keep the browser from being able to change the size. Will this work in all browsers? I have no idea. It may be something other than !imporant, but you get the general idea.