html/java help for anyone thats listening.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MyKCLz, Jul 3, 2003.

1. MyKCLz

MyKCLz Active Member

Alright, although i have not published my site yet I would like some help with it, PLEASE. I got mostly everything what i need on the webpage but what I want is a Username and Password setup on the Main Page. I used html to get the cosmetic look of it. Now all I need is to do the whole background thing. I want users to enter their username/password to get into the site kida thing. Like you would like here or at yahoo or sumthing.
    I picked up a java book :eek3: :ugh: Let's say i just quite dont understand it. Yes Im a retard cuz i dont know a language that has been out for some time now....thank you. But help please. A push in the right direction or sumthing that would help me out would be greatly appeciated.

Also another question what would i need to create a banner with tabs. Like on this site on top where you see ot subscription and otism and otiology. I want something like that with working links. Once again, a push in the right direction or sum sort of help is greatly appeciated.

Thanks

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

is this a school project or something that is going to be a public site on the internet?

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

The banner can be done rather easily in Photoshop and ImageReady although you may want to check out a tutorial or two to figure out how to do it. If you don't have either of these two programs, then pic a paint program and create your banner, but you'll have to crop each image out. Then use tables to put the images back together and add links. All done (at least in a nut shell).

I'm learning Java too so I feel your pain (just learned to setup/config Tomcat, JSPs, servlets, and talked to MySQL all today - shout out to Compiled Monkey for the quick help!)

I'm not able to give you working Java code, I can at least help you with the concepts (I've done this type of thing for ASP and PHP - you do it once and its a matter of vocabulary afterwards).

Some things to think about:

- How do you plan to keep track of users and passwords?
    - Will it be secure? How so?
    - What happens when a user forgets their password?
    - How will you authenticate users?
    - What happens if they keep getting their password wrong?
    - How will they register? How will new users be put in the system?
    - What happens if someone is already registered?
    - Will SSL be needed?

Once you can figure out the above, you can then start putting together a system to manage this all.

4. MyKCLz

MyKCLz Active Member

:big ok:

Thanks Alot Guy, Ill start lookin into that stuff

5. eof

eof New Member

Why java?

Do it in PHP....:bigthumb:...much more straight forward as there is a fairly good session manager built into php.

6. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

php? u mean the language that changes with every update? :p

php doesnt even support OO (to an extent)

and dont say 5 beta supports OO, cause 5 will render a lot of 4 code useless like 4 did to 3...

7. eof

eof New Member

:dunno....

Do you really need OO for a simple user / pass auth system that tracks sessions? I seem to have done it a few times without OO...chances are his host supports PHP more so then JSP / servlets....

BTW... C# + ASP.NET > *
    :fawk:

8. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

* > platform dependence

9. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

yeah sorry eof, a lot of us do program for x-platforms

10. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

lol asp.....

have fun running it on a server that you need to update everyday or you might get something like nimda :fawk:

11. CompiledMonkey

Our Windows servers run fine, I was just trying to make the point of running on more than one platform. That is all. :big grin:

12. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Correction on your OOP facts: http://us2.php.net/manual/en/language.oop.php

PHP v4 supports OOP. It doesn't live in OOP like Java does, but it does support it and you can code with it. PHP v5 extends the OOP capabilities.

As for the changes with every update: I'm guessing you've either been burned by the updates or you've read into some article from someone burned from the updates. The only major change that has happened in the v4 line has the register globals has now been disabled by default. This mucked up a lot of code - but the PHP folks did this for server security (and this was a while ago anyways!).

You have some links regarding PHP v5 rendering v4 code useless? I've heard people spout this off, but no one has backed it up. Here's the change log for PHP v5:

http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-5.php

Doesn't look like it will be breaking PHP v4 code any time soon.

13. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Regarding the JSP/Servlets approach, I'm looking at it and its a pretty intense way to go. Its definitely do-able, and if you're fluent in Java, it will probably be pretty easy. If you're just learning Java, then this will be an excellent project to start with.

Compare Java to something like PHP/ASP/Perl and I think you'll find the non-OOP approach a bit (or a lot) easier for your task needs.

I have heard of some arguments that using OOP for server-side web apps is a bit overkill (depends on the app too). The biggie being how often do you really end up re-using the OOP code you created from site X to site Y?

14. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

you reuse a lot of code that's for sure, i mean most websites have same fundamentals when you create them
    From what i hear though is that if you want something small and want to do it fast, you use php

but if you have a big project, it's better to use java

but anyways, it's all matter of opinion

anything can be done in any language

15. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Use either PHP, ASP, or CGI.

For the database: MySQL, Access, or SQL Server.

Choose your poison.

16. eof

eof New Member

:rolleyes:

Access?

I like MS tech as much as the next guy but are you serious?

From My View:

Databases...
    Oracle > DB2 > MySQL > postgresql > SQL Server > * > Access

Web Development Large Projects
    ASP.NET (C#) > Java > PHP > Perl

Web Development Small Projects
    PHP > ASP.NET (C#) > Java > Perl

Application Development - MS Platform
    C++ > C# > VB > Java > Delphi

Application Development - Multi Platform
    C++ > Java

me > *

17. CompiledMonkey

For certain projects, Access is easily the best choice.

18. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Ummmmmm ok.. :ugh:

There's really no such thing as this > that.

AND YES.. Access is a viable choice in certain cases. A lot of developers use Access for it's ease of use. If you're shipping a small program (single user desktop app), then Access would be a good choice. Are you going to ship the product to work out of the box, or are you going to have a separate database engine running in the background? Believe it or not, there are some cases where Access makes sense.

19. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

:werd:

20. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Access!?

Um, the ONLY reason I wouldn't go with Access is the limited number of open connections to it (well, there's other reasons, but that ones the biggest). Access can handle what, 1-8 concurrent connections. How many people you plan to hit this site?

21. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Sort of. I think the difference between Java and PHP is if you're doing a lot of development for 1 site or a lot of development for multiple sites where the data and models do not match. Java seems to excel with code re-use when the data and/or business model(s) match somewhat closely.

I'd be curious what defines a big project. Is it by lines of code? Functionality? I'd say any language could get the job done. Although I'd agree and say Java would be easier to maintain then another language (such as PHP).

Yup, I agree...