HTML coding question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IllAvBIll, Aug 16, 2006.

1. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

So, I'm in a hard place here. I've got some employees that need to update some fields for preps & precautions for about 1000+ exams. Our product is all html/web based for ease of use and no need to install on many hundred machines etc. We have a contract with the vendor so we can't modify their code or our warantee is voided yadda yadda. :greddy:

Anyways, Im not the best at html, actually i'm pretty bad :o The users are going into one of our dictionaries and modifying preps & precautions for these exams, well they enter the info into a web form which then updates our SQL database. That works fine, it keeps their text formatting in the database field but when it displays in the program all of the formatting ( as in spaces/enters) don't show up because its HTML based. The easy way around this was for the employees to enter a simple <br> for enter (duh) and use

<ul>
    <li>
    <li>
    </ul>

for list items since the program is web based. Well, their boss won't let this happen because its "too hard" :rolleyes: for them to do. There is no way in hell i'm going to go edit all of these 1 by 1 that'd take me days to do and I also run the help desk for plenty of other systems. Anybody willing to help me write something, html or whatever that can add the <br> to a text box when they hit "enter"?

Sorry if this doesn't make too much sence i'll check it out again when I get home and probably edit it. I'm working right now. Thanks if this make sence.

2. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

We can't just use word or any typical html editors because there is a character limit of like 3-5K on the text field and all the crap that word/other editors put into the html file make our system error out when they are used in this DB field.

3. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

You could use javascript and the 'onsubmit' handler of the <form>..
    You should make sure they have javascript enabled too, and if not maybe show a message telling them to end with '<br>'.

Really it should be done on the server side. You can't legally modify that code? Wow.

4. Why

Why New Member

Maybe Dreamweaver?

5. mace

mace i don't read

i think you could use <PRE></PRE> to keep the pre formatted text in your html output.

6. IllAvBIll

IllAvBIll []

:doh: Man, I'm a FREAKING MORON! I can't believe i've forgot that time to brush up on my html skills again :o

This worked perfectly. Thank you soooo much!