HTC Wizard V.S. HTC Tornado V.S. HTC Treo

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Oct 4, 2005.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

So I came to a conflict tonight... how badass is the Wizard, really? Looking at the specs, it's younger brother, the tornado is rather similar.

Windows Mobile 5
    Quad-Band
    64 MB RAM (Although the Wizard has double the ROM... would that mean the internal storage?)
    MiniSD slot
    64,000 QVGA Color LCD (both transflective, both the same resolution)
    WiFi (Although the Tornado only has B, whereas the Wizard has the whole range... could a Mobile device even take advantage of the extra speed?)
    1.3 MP Camera

Look at that though... very few diffrences, and the Wizard will cost twice as much? I'm just not too sure about it. The Treo could be a good intermediate device, but... 240x240? That's so lame.

I just don't know. The idea of having a keyboard is fleeting... especailly since I could buy a USB board for $100 and be on with it.

Anyone have any input? If anything, is anyone going to get the Tornado? What an awesome phone. You'll be happy with any of these.

Wizard: http://www.imate.com/DETAILS_KJAM.htm
    Tornado: http://www.imate.com/DETAILS_SP5.htm
    Tornado Music edition: http://www.imate.com/DETAILS_SP5.htm (might want to get this for easier movie controls... but maybe that's a little too much)

You can order the Wizard now for over $600, I'm guessing by the holidays it will be around $550. I think the tornado will go for $300 or so by then, or $250 with a contract. Just my opinion.

2. hay112

hay112 For every sprinkle I find I shall kill you

i dunno, its a hard choice, its hard trade off between more phone functionality or pda functionality...My problem is i dont' know if i can go back to a smartphone after using a pocket pc, just cause of all the things you can do and of course the much bigger screen

3. coronet

I feel the same, but opposite. I don't know if I want to lug around a PDA with me to school; the primary place I would use the functionality of the keyboard for notetaking and such. But at the same I feel I'd be missing out on some of the cool stuff PDAs have to offer.

In any case, I think you have to applaud the Tornado; look at those specs! Literally PDA-status.

4. hay112

yeah, it definitely meets all the same specs...i had a smartphone for about 8 months, then just switched to a pocket pc about 2 months ago...the extra bulk does suck but to me the major advantage of a bigger screen and having a touch screen is worth it....Now if they could have a smartphone with all those specs the tornado has but with a 3 inch screen i'd be golden..

5. coronet

I think I'm in the same boat as you were those few months ago. Do you pocket your pocket PC? I do my phone (obvious), and it amounted quite a few dandy scratches, even from being in a safe pocket. I'm afraid a big screen has a bigger oppourtunity, and even to get a crushed screen?

6. hay112

yeah, it has a holster but i never use it, i usually throw it in my pocket and its fine, haven't had a scratch yet..btw i'm using a audiovox 4100 which is one of the smaller pocket pc's on the market.

7. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

2 products for completely different uses, the Tornado is a smartphone designed for data retrieval (ie checking address book/appointments/watching media,) while the Wizard is for data input.

I loved my SMT but it was obvious after a week that it wasn't the right phone for me, the JAM on the other hand was perfect and addressed all my needs. As soon as my contract is up in Nov. I will start my quest on finding a Wizard unless I hear about Cingular or Tmo making a move towards carrying it then I might wait a little while.

8. hay112

9. coronet

10. hay112

yeah it really is and of course people are already buying for that price, it is a BAd $#^ phone but it shouldnt' be more than 400 when it hits the states at the end of the year

11. Gimik

Gimik New Member

So are these phones not out in the US yet? Why do the phones suck so bad here? :wtc:

I'd love to get a wizard (my contract was up last month), but I can't find anyone that carries it in the US. (yeah, I'm a phone n00b)

12. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Sprint carries a variant of the Wizard.

13. Smahatma

Smahatma Bitch-Kumar OT Supporter

among others, expansys is shipping to the US (though you have to buy it off the uk site) and david weiniger (dweiniger.com) got in a palette of about 150 units (all were spoken for, but a few are re-selling theirs via private or ebay)

14. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Monkeyboy :coold:

Thats where I was going to get my JAM from but I got lucky with an ebay auction.

15. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

Wizard = more poweruser
    Tornado = casual PIM/Data user, more of a phone person.

I'll take the wiz

16. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Does that sprint wizard have stereo sound? I really want something with stereo this time. $475 isn't that bad (my work will pay for $100 of it probably).

17. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

I don't think the ppc6700 has stereo sound from the reviews i've read. In fact, I hear the speaker sucks. But go check one out at a local sprint store.