HT Sub question (.1 LFE) + surround

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zylo, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Zylo

Zylo big time. hard line. bad luck.

Ok, I have a subwoofer that is making mechanical noise (voice coil scraping the PM, it is out of alignment) and is making an awful and ear-piercingly loud HUM when it does not have a source input. I moved it around the house, and it still hums very loudly. If you short the input, the noise goes away.

It's a shitty 10", i've been wanting to upgrade for quite some time, so now is the chance.

A few things before I purchase one, however.

I love HT & Car Audio, and am decently experienced with audio, but normally in two channels, but I still am a newbie, especially w/ the likes of 5.1/7.1 and upper spectrum components. I know the basics, signal paths, power, etc.

first off,

Is there a difference in the .1 or LFE (Low Freq. Effect) channel and the standard SUBWOOFER OUT? Does the LFE channel exhibit less or more acoustical information than the SUB OUT?

I have a few ideas on what I want to do regarding subs.. I want either 15" or 18" But would really LOVE some 24" Hartleys.. :( sigh... dream on!

1) Build own box with a few Adire Audio Tumults or similar and add a nice amplifier
    2) Single, large, powered subwoofer
    3) two powered subs, each rear corner of the room (more even sound dispersion)

If I build my own subs, I have yet to decide if I will use an amp like a Crown Audio rackmount, or a plate amp. But that is another story.
    Now on to the surround questions, short and simple :)

Regarding 7.1, if the rear channels are the same towers as the front (for true seamless surround) what about the side/rear channel? Towers as well?
    Or... dipole? The only one I don't understand. Hell, they even make dipole subs now! What are dipoles, and what do they do? /Schwarzenegger Voice

Lastly, does the idea of using identical front and rear speakers (towers) for seamless Surround sound seem logical? Or overkill?

Thank you, and for those who commented in my last thread, thanks for the information!

2. 04

04 Guest

That will depend on the reciever. Usually the subwoofer out is the same as the LFE channel. However, depending on the receiver's setup options, you can usually allow the subwoofer output to output the front stereo channels bass information, as well as the center and surrounds, depending on how you set up the bass management.

A Tumult would work great. They are pretty expensive though, but if money isnt an issue, it's a great driver. Two subwoofers with placment in different areas of the room could also help with room modes and allow a flatter bass reproduction. If you plan on getting two Tumults, i'd reccomend getting a rack mountable prosound amp. These days you can get over 2000 watts for less than 400 dollars. Although you may have an issue with the fan noise.

Well, I personally prefer using direct radiating speakers for all channels but that's just me. Dipoles are speakers that have two sets of woofers and/or tweeters that are opposing each other on opposite sides of the speaker enclosure. They are wired so that they provide a null in the sound, cancelling each other out at certain frequencies. It works very much like if you were to wire one of your front speakers polarity incorrectly. instead of having a distinct "center" sound, you'd have a more diffuse, hard to localize sound. The point of the dipole speakers is to make the surround sound information less localizable.

If you have a very very high budget, I'd say using the same speakers for front and rear would work great. However, very few people have this luxury, so i'd say that for the majority of people it would be more prudent to spend the vast majority of money on the front speakers. In most movies, there is very little surround information anyways, so IMO you'd be best off having the best front speakers as you can, and then worry about the surround.