HT set up for a small room 10'x11'

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 1200mk, Apr 28, 2008.

1. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

I want to set up a HT in my bed room. What would you guys recommend? 3k for everything.

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Why spend that kind of money for a bedroom that size? I guess I'd just buy stuff that could be used in a future (larger) room. Do you want surround sound? Do you already have some components (i.e. DVD player)? Are you planning on a projection system or some type of flat screen? I honestly don't know where you would put all the equipment though.

3. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

should i just get a flat panel tv and call it a day?

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I'd go flat panel on the wall, HTIB, reciever, DVD, call it a day.

That can be done for less than $3k, depending on the size TV you want.

For a room that small, and it's just a bedroom, I would say a 42" or so w/ the HTIB would look and sound nice, without sacrificing too much space.

5. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

would a HTIB sound better than 2 nice bookshelf speakers and a nice amp?

6. veonake

No, the bookshelf speakers will definitely sound better if they are quality. Personally, that's the way I'd go instead of surround.

Also, 42" is a pretty large display in a room that size, but go for it if you want.

7. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

I read somewhere the B&W 685 speakers were good... anything better in that price range?

Is there a big difference in price from 37-42"?

8. veonake

I'm not really up-to-date on displays, I'm more into the audio side. I have a projection setup at my place so I know a little about that though.

Anyway, B&W is definitely a well known brand and I doubt you'd be disappointed with anything from them. I'd also take a look into brands like NHT (I love my SB3's, an older model), Paradigm, or online companies like av123.com. Also, don't be afraid to purchase used and older models. I honestly don't believe that speakers have made THAT much improvement in the past several years that you'll lose anything from buying used equipment. You will however be able to buy much better sounding speakers than you would otherwise buy new. I think a lot of people don't consider this. Find some speakers you like, maybe look at past models, then go to a site like audiogon.com and see what you can find.

Of course, you may not want to spend the time searching for speakers like this, I just enjoy that kind of thing.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i have a 42" in my HT room (12' x 10') and it's perfect. yamaha receiver, and some klh and boston acoustic specakers. Not the greatest but it works great for me.

10. 1200mk

1200mk Still same OG

pictures of setup?

Thanks