HT gurus: Keep 5.1 or upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bigboto, May 25, 2004.

1. bigboto

bigboto Guest

Is it worth upgrading from a 5.1 receiver to a 6.1 or 7.1? I only turn on the receiver when I'm watching a DVD. I rarely use it when playing CDs or listening to the radio.

Does a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver send output to the other channel(s) when playing back a movie encoded with only 5.1?

Bonus question:
    (Might be a stupid question :dunno: )

Is the audio that comes through digital cable or dish really 5.1? I'm asking because my digital cable converter box only has a pair of RCAs going into the receiver. Shouldn't it be a fiber connection?

I suck at the home theater :wtc:
  2. 04

04 Guest

I'd say not unless your system is already really high end. yes, the 6.1 or 7.1 reciever will send the surround information to the other channels as well.

Im pretty sure there is digital cable boxes that has support for 5.1 digital audio, but if you only have a pair of rca cables, it looks like its normal analog stereo in your case. Look on the back of the box for a connector that says "spdif" or "toslink"
  3. sprite

sprite Active Member

May 20, 2003
    I've got a 7.1 system and love it. The "sound scape" or imaging or whatever you want to call it is surreal. If you can afford to upgrade the reciever and add the additional speakers, I think you'd be happy with the upgrade.
  4. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

May 25, 2000
    6.1 hasn't impressed me too much... it's nice but not a HUGE improvement over 5.1

I think discrete 7.1 would be somewhat more interesting.