GUN HR 1022 Online Petition

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Feb 26, 2007.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

2. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

3. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

i signed the line..

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

5. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

signed

6. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Do these online petitions actually carry any weight?

(signed it)

7. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Signed.

8. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Ya, is anyone with power going to say, "Hey all these people on the internet who *may* exist want something, I'll do it"

While it can't hurt, an E-mail or letter to your local/regional/state gov't officials really works. It's actually supprising how little they hear from most of their voters.

9. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

I signed it. :)

10. chakup

chakup Guest

hr 1096:
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1096

H.R. 1096: To restore the second amendment rights of all Americans
    Mr. PAUL introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, and in addition to the Committee on Ways and Means, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

A BILL

To restore the second amendment rights of all Americans.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Second Amendment Protection Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. REPEAL OF 1993 LAW PROVIDING FOR A WAITING PERIOD BEFORE THE PURCHASE OF A HANDGUN, AND THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A NATIONAL INSTANT CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM TO BE CONTACTED BY FIREARMS DEALERS BEFORE THE TRANSFER OF ANY FIREARM.

Public Law 103-159 is repealed, and any provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

SEC. 3. ELIMINATION OF SPORTING PURPOSES DISTINCTION.

(a) Section 5845(f) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended--

(1) by striking `which the Secretary finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes'; and

(2) by striking `which the owner intends to use solely for sporting purposes'.

(b) Section 921(a)(4)(B) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking `which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes'.

(c) Section 921(a)(4) of such title is amended in the 2nd sentence by striking `which the owner intends to use solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes'.

(d) Section 921(a)(17)(C) of such title is amended by striking `a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes,'.

(e) Section 923(j) of such title is amended by striking `devoted to the collection, competitive use, or other sporting use of firearms in the community'.

(f) Section 922(r) of such title is amended by striking `of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes'.

(g) Section 925(a)(3) of such title is amended by striking `determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes and'.

(h) Section 925(a)(4) of such title is amended by striking `(A) determined by the Attorney General to be generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes, or determined by the Department of Defense to be a type of firearm normally classified as a war souvenir, and (B)'.

(i) Section 925(d)(3) of such title is amended by striking `and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes'.

(j) Section 925(e)(2) of such title is amended by striking `provided that such handguns are generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes'.

(k) Section 922 of such title is amended in each of subsections (a)(5), (a)(9), and (b)(3) by striking `lawful sporting purposes' and inserting `lawful purposes'.

SEC. 4. REPEAL OF THE CHILD SAFETY LOCK ACT OF 2005.

(a) Amendments to Title 18, United States Code-

(1) Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking subsection (z).

(2) Section 924 of such title is amended--

(A) in subsection (a)(1), by striking `(f), or (p)' and inserting `or (f)'; and

(B) by striking subsection (p).

(b) Repealer- Section 5 of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (18 U.S.C. 922 note; 119 Stat. 2099) is repealed.

SEC. 5. EFFECTIVE DATE.

The provisions of this Act shall take effect immediately upon enactment.

11. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

No cosponsors :wtc:

12. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

It'd be better if it got rid of the NFA act of 1934

13. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

signed this morning
    rest of my family and friends did this afternoon

14. chakup

chakup Guest

It's a start, and 1022 had no cosponsors either. apparently they both do this every year, maybe this is the year we can get our rep's to support 1096 and see a change for the good. rather than bitch about the negative take the time to get with your rep and push passing some laws in our favor.

15. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

No. Any idiot can post a petition link to a forum, IRC channel, mailing list, newgroup, whatnot and get thousands of "signatures. " The ease of collection and lack of effort involved for all parties makes them meaningless and easily ignored.

Getting names on paper implies more effort on the part of the organizer and more commitment on the part of those signing it.

Flooding your congressmen with letters means even more yet - especially if they're not form letters. It means that the person writing the letter went to some time, effort, and expense to express their views. A flood on the same theme means that those writing the letters are committed to the issue.

16. Gimik

Gimik New Member

On the saiga forums, they're saying there are 12 co-sponsors for this as of yesterday.

17. idleprocess

Disappointing that GovTrack is not up to date.

[sigh]. Time to start writing letters...

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

fucking dems

how many cosponsors does it need to go to congress?

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I sent out a few emails the other day :hs:

20. el capitan

el capitan New Member

21. idleprocess

Sent letters to the DC and home offices for all the Texas Representatives in the Judiciary Committee ... including the Democrat co-sponsor from Texas (probably a waste of my time, but it was different from the ones I sent to the two Republicans and civil). We'll see if I get anything other than a form letter stating "I appeciate your concern..."

[​IMG]

22. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Petitions on sites like thepetitionstie.com are totally useless. The only way an online petition can carry any weight (and even then it's not much) is for it to, at the very least, have its own domain (such as petitiontostoptheAWB.com)

Petition sounds wierd now. I've been saying it too much. Feels like it's lost its meaning

23. idleprocess

That's why I sent letters. Paper letters. Through the mail. If I didn't have the world's worst block-print handwriting, I would have written them by hand to further convey that I dedicated actual time, effort, and expense to expressing my views, and thus it's important to me.

Seriously, write your congressional representative if they're on the Judiciary committee.

http://judiciary.house.gov/CommitteeMembership.aspx

Don't use a form letter. Keep it short. Be concise and civil. And for fuck's sake, don't mention goblins, zombies, blue helmets, new world order, how you would like to shoot them if they vote for the bill, etc.

24. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

:cool: I'll be sending some letters early next week.

25. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

in on the petition, also will be writing my officials.