HP printer setup can't find printer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sinewy_mess, Jun 13, 2005.

1. sinewy_mess

sinewy_mess New Member

Have a PowerBook connected to an AirPort Express, along with an HP all-in-one connected to the USB port of the AE. I installed it with no problems, but now on every reboot, the HP setup program comes up to set the deafult settings for the installed printer. However, when I continue on to select the printer, it can't find it through the USB (local -- which it's not) or TCP/IP.

I can print through any program though.

Any ideas?

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

without knowing much about the airport express, you shouldn't have to use the HP setup program for your powerbook to recognize it. just remove the program and you should still be ok

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:werd: oem drivers actually seem to cause more harm than good... apple got it down so well from the start you don't even need them :bigthumb:

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Hehe nice to seem some things are the same on both sides of the fence.

HP drivers = some of the worst software on Earth

5. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

I used to work in the all-in-one division...now I work elsewhere, but in the same building. I've never used the HP Mac drivers before...you will lose some functionality if you don't use the HP drivers, I would guess. For one, software copying and faxing. If you don't want this functionality, then remove the drivers.

I'll forward your issue on to the lead engineer for the Mac solution and see what she says about it.

6. sinewy_mess

sinewy_mess New Member

Cool, thanks -- I am able to print, it's just that the setup program loads from startup (the setup program seems to set defaults for paper size, etc.). I didn't find it in the startup area or any of the Library folders...

7. turbo91

turbo91 New Member

Here is her response:
    -------------------------------------

The AirPort Express USB port is not supported by our device. Even though the device is connected with USB cable, this is basically USB sharing, and not regular USB.

You can't scan from this device, either. Basically, HP Setup program is trying to find the device with the protocol that works with scanning. It never finds the scanner this way, and that's why it keeps showing up everytime it boots, because it insists to know which scanner we should scan from.

Printing works because the printer is recognized by the OS as Shared printer and it shows up in Printer Setup Utility /Print Center, and we can create a printer queue (without using HP Software).

What this user should have done is NOT to install HP Software package, and instead, installed "Printing Only" software from the web site.

To make HP Setup Assistant to stop from poping up everytime computer boots up, he should connect the laptop to the device directly with USB cable once, when the HP Setup Assistant is looking for device (it will show up on USB) and let the program finish ONCE. The program will be happy because the scanner is now setup and will not show up any more, even if the device is not turned on and connected.

This being said, I recognize the problem we have in our software. Just saying "Not supported" isn't a good user experience, especially this is a typical user behavior. We will look into improving it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  8. sinewy_mess

sinewy_mess New Member

Great, thanks for the help!