HP photosmart 6180, Linksys Wireless G router, and Sony Vaio making happy together...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdw, Nov 18, 2007.

1. jdw

jdw New Member

I'm sick of being telephone tech support for this person so I'd prefer to find out what the hell is causing the issues.

Have the HP Photosmart 6180 with wireless connectivity.
    Typical Linksys Wireless G router.
    and a Sony Vaio with Vista (home?).

Apparently when they lose power the printer isn't recognized anymore. As I recall from the last time I fixed it it is holding onto the Wireless key so it should be able to connect to the router... Only way I've been able to make it work again is to re-install all of the printer software on the computer.

Ideas? I'm tired of playing tech support over the phone....

2. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

Tell whoever it is that you don't know but you're sure the people at HP have a lot of experience solving this exact issue with their printer.

3. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

HP printers have been (and still are) very buggy when it comes to the fairly new wireless functionality that is being built in to the printers. That being said, I've had much better luck going the old fashioned route and running an ethernet cord rather than rely on the crappy wireless that is built in.

4. jdw

jdw New Member

Hmm...

part of me is wondering if it isn't Vista too... I finally got her to find the install file on the computer and re-installed all the software for it and it works fine again. Did nothing but turn off and unplug the printer during installation. Unfortunately I'm entirely unfamiliar with Vista and can pick my way through it but that's about it. Can't go wired as it's on a laptop at a kitchen table (woman is disabled).

Hopefully it'll be fine for a couple more months.. maybe I'll be back in her area so I can deal with it first hand. Try to figure out why it's doing it. Computer keeps the connection to the router (internet is still fine) and printer apparently is fine, just has to be something in the OS that freaks if it's a sudden power down.