HP Openview

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bastid, Sep 17, 2003.

1. bastid

bastid New Member

Jan 7, 2002
    Anyone ever use this? I am thinking about implementing it on my network, but would like to know if there are any alternatives. Any help at all would be appreciated. Comments, experiences, etc.
  2. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    We use it here on a couple accounts we support, GM being one of the larger ones. I don't honestly know much about the software besides it's a monitoring tool.

Along those lines you might also look into BMC Patrol.

Not sure exactly what you plan on using Openview to watch though.
  3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Nov 14, 2000
    I've used both OpenView and Patrol. If you have a small network with a few segments and a few boxes, this is overkill. But that depends on what you want to monitor. Is this for you or is this for your command/data center staff?

Patrol 3.5 is much easier to use than 3.4. Although it's not completely user friendly. There other BMC products they will try to sell to you. PEM, Patrol Enterprise Manager is a good tool, but is a nightmare to administrate. I try to avoid or delegate all PEM requests here. heh. It is the most user-unfriendly app in the world. Heck, the default installation for PEM on my Sun box, corrupts the kernel.

So depending on the size of your environments, Openview may or may not be a feasible solution. I think, if you use HP-UX it comes with a trimmed down ill-featured version of Openview. I'm not sure how much it can do, but I guess it's only for the host and maybe other HP-UX boxes.

-crontab -l
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2003