MMA How's your training going these days?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Maestro Nobones, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

Mine is going pretty good. I feel like I'm real close to making that breakthrough with my bjj and should have my blue belt real soon. my standup game is getting smoother, my timing and footwork and really starting to come around, and I'm getting to not feel like a fucking idiot with my wrestling and takedowns. I've also been really feeling that turtle instructional and have been playing around with using the turtle a lot more. thanks teh cage for that one :bigthumb:

in other news my non-bjj school has been apprenticing me to be an instructor, I've been getting to help newbies out with stuff and I got to be a coach at a rape prevention seminar this past weekend.

so tell me about your training, what's new?

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

aproaching my 3 year mark soon, feel like my instructors and training partners all have really high expectations from me. Focusing on setups more than anything now. Naga this saturday, and returning to my college dorm sunday.

3. VulgarTheClown

VulgarTheClown A child and a gun.....go together like apple pie a

I'm feelin alright, just really gettin back in the swing of things. My stand up will finaly get all the attention I wanted to give it before but couldn't my ground game is being worked more than it had for the last year, and i unfortunately do not have a wrestling coach at the moment, but that is soon too be remedied hopefully.

All in all feelin pretty good.

4. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

God, I feel like a total noobert here. I've been training 4 months in Judo. My groundwork is alright for a judoka and my throws/takedowns are getting much better. I felt like a MASSIVE pimp when i pulled off a huge uchimata on a green belter. Bleh........ i like groundwork better, i might start going to BJJ or Sambo lessons too.

Good stuff guys!

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Shitty. Broken toe for the lose. I've been able to do Boxing, Muay Thai drills, and condition but I haven't been able to do any grappling or go to the gym and lift weights because I can't wear shoes.

6. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

So far, so good. I've been trying to work on a gi gameplan for the last couple months for this gi tourny in my state and its been coming along fine. I just need to work on pass the guard a little bit more cause I tend to leave myself open for submissions.

While my takedowns are good but can still use more work on but I'll be in wrestling again soon when school starts in a month (which will give me like 3 weeks of wrestling practice b4 the tourny).

As for stand up, I recently started sparring in boxing 3 weeks ago and I freaking love it, my coach invited me to the kickboxing classes (duane ludwig teaches some of the classes :naughty:) as well but I can't make them because they get in the way of my bjj schedule.

So far, no injuries but I have been stubborn at times when I get caught which make me worry later on. :noes:

7. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

Meh it's allright. Been keeping away from the gym too much latey between hurting myself, and the 90 - 110 degree weather.

8. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

boxing is good, slacking on sub-wrestling :hs:, start muay thai next week :wiggle:

9. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I really got to work on my cardio did 3 3 min rounds MT last night and was gone. Good news is my leg kicks are in the words of my sparring partner 'ouchy' I knocked him down twice with leg kicks. BJJ has been mainly focusing on sweeps and guard escapes trying to focus on the techniques rather then brute force (Im a bit bigger then alot of the guys I train with) 6'2 295 lbs I gotta lose that weight also.

10. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah same here. I started out at 245 a month or two ago and so far I'm at about 230. I want to get down to 220 or maybe lower depending on what weight class I am thinking about. I want to eventually do some amatuer events atleast. :cool:

11. Maestro Nobones

big boahs up in myeah :noes:

12. teep

teep New Member

I was in Manhattan for over a month earlier this summer and had no time to train then. Now that I'm back home training has been going really well. At first I just worked on getting back into lifting, swimming, running etc. Now I've been working on my wrestling and boxing alot more. I'm lucky because I can use my old high school wrestling room whenever I want and I always have my old coach and my buddy to work with both of whom are national champs. My shots are pretty solid so I've been working alot of greco. And by working alot of greco I mean getting thrown across the mat back and forth for a few hours.

On another note if you had the choice what would you do. Train muay thai in Thailand for a month or train at an MMA camp in the states (i.e AMC, Team Quest, Legends, etc)? Last winter I went to Thailand and had one of the best times of my life so I was thinking I would really like to go again. Then again I think it would be fun to just go out west and train for a little while during my winter break.

13. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

:eek3: damn son. I'm 6'4 ~200ish and feel like I could use to loose 15pounds

14. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

I do bjj 2 days a week, run and lift the others. I want more mat time to practice, roll, and drill. Unfortunately the place i train at only offers 2 days a week, so im thinking about picking up 2-3 more days from another local school (Ralph Gracie or AKA). But im still unsure, im worried that more days might cause problems with work and or my social life.

15. Maestro Nobones

yeah I neglected to mention that I took the whole month of june off to go on that road trip so I've just been getting back in teh swing of lifting and training as well

16. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

I'm a total noob to martial arts but why not post? It's a quality thread.

I've been doing Muay Thai for 2 months now, and just trying to get back into shape. My leg kicks are solid, but my punching still lacks imo. I'm very happy to have improved my clinch, I actually train with guys a good couple inches taller than I and much heavier (One of my good friends is 6'6 and 250 pounds while i'm at 5'7, 155 lbs), but when I clinch with people my size I seem to be able to literally toss them around. I actually broke one guys confidence and he left for the day frustrated.

I've been running daily which I haven't done in years and it feels great, but very recently my knee has been having pains so I may have to stop a little while.

I picked up lifting weights again, and this time around i'm just trying to get a really good stretch with each rep instead of seeing how high I can go.

17. xinster

xinster New Member

today was the first day we did osoto gari in our nogi class. I have a complete new respcet for judokas.

18. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

You've only seen a tiny tiny bit of what Judokas go through. Judo is a hard, demanding sport. I remember the practices being very, very explosive and hard for 2-3 hours.

19. xinster

xinster New Member

No, ive heard MANY many stories about how judo is the toughest sport ever.

Its just that when i was in 8th grade wrestling, id get slammed all the time, thinking wtf is this pussy shit. Now that i train with serious athletes, slams are fucking killer.

20. Maestro Nobones

yeah I wanna crosstrain in some judo down the road, but I'll definately put in some months at a boxing gym before I do that

21. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Going really well. I'm tapping all of the other blue's and half of the purples consistantly.

I'm finally very comfortable with my takedowns and my striking has gone from nil to good.

22. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

yeah ima lard arse last time I fought I was a bit under 255 obviously at that weight you dont need to cut so thats what I was walking at. I was playing rugby and basketball aswell so that kept be in shape ever since I have been working in an office I have got lazy.

23. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Boxing training is the best cardio bar none

24. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I've been taking it easy because of my toe, but I think I'm going to start hitting the weights and hard cardio atleast 2 days a week. I'm trying to train 4 days a week so that gives me an off day. Probably full body lifting + a good 40 minutes of cardio on those 2 days.

25. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I've been going to regular Muay Thai. I've been taking it easy on MT sparring, been very careful which grappling and BJJ drills I do, and no rolling at all. I can definitely feel my toe is stronger but I still feel some pain especially when I wear shoes (hard to go to the gym in sandals) and I get paranoid about reinjuring it.