MMA How's training going for ya guys v. 12321

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Placebo, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I was training way too frequently. Atleast 10 hours a week plus lifting. I'm taking two weeks off. While my skill, strength, etc... have increased substantially, I'm accumulating a ton of injuries and burning myself out.

I've been training just short of a year. I'll bold the injuries that I still have.

Severe rotator cuff problems on both shoulders, hyperexted elbows several times, broken toe, fucked up my neck severely, sprained toes on both feet, sprained thumb, dislocated my jaw several times, fucked up ankle, minor cauli ear, minor hip problems.

I'm sure I forgot several :p

Yea, this break is gonna be atleast 2 weeks. I was out all night so sorry if this isn't easily readable.

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I've been taking the last week or so off, except for last night when I went to check out my buddy's school. They do MMA and BJJ... but I'm much better off where I am regularly. Better instruction and much better training partners.

I was sort of getting burned out, and definitely stacking up the injuries... so the time off is doing me well. I'm ready to get back to it on Monday though. I'm almost forcing myself to just not go tonight because I know I need the rest.

Up until when I stopped I felt like I was doing very well and picking up ateast a good technique a night, or doing something that reinforced something from a previous class (either striking or grappling). When I get back I am going to try and keep that up for another few months and then try to take some private lessons and see where I am at from there.

My broken toe is just about fully healed when I almost broke the big toe on the same foot. I have pretty badly bruised shin from some bad shin to knee contact late last week. and my knee is banged up as well. I'm working on giving all those injuries a break on my week off.

3. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Been going good so far, I got caught in an armbar last night and almost got my arm broke. He got it at a weird angle and torqued just a lil and all I heard were "crack pop" and tapped out. I didn't feel it last night but feel it today, so I'm guessing its just sore or something.

4. Bausk

Bausk New Member

:bowdown: I wish I could get good instruction 1 on 1 for what you are paying.

5. CyberEye

CyberEye Oh god, the voices

It's not, since I messed up my knee at the gym a few weeks ago :hsd:

6. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

Just bein doing some home training (bag work, Bas CD's, weights, etc..) and it's going allright. I've got good MT technique, but I'm just working on my speed and power. I really need someone to do pad work with though.

Looking into some of the schools around and debating whether to do a really good muay thai school where I have went before for 2 years, or try a place that does BJJ, MMA and average MT.

7. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Don't completely ignore your standup man, even the top BJJer's are learning either Judo or wrestling to help them with their standup.

8. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i've been taking a break from watching videos for about 48 hours

i want to train :sad2:

9. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

going real well, back at school now and training with my normal partners. Also have been going down to my instructor's academy a couple times per week. Doing 2 tournaments in the next few months (one in the middle of september). January marks my 3rd full year of training :eek4:

10. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Oh forgot about injuries... my left knee is absolutely killing me because of an injury I got last year when my biggest training partner sprawled on me with all his might. I think the MCL is partially torn, it hurts like an unreasonable amount when I try to do hamstring curls with my left leg, and also when I sit a little further than 'indian style' the knee hurts as well.

11. Kuet

Kuet New Member

wow thats quite the list. props man you must train pretty hard or have really bad luck. im guessing train hard. :cool:

12. teep

teep New Member

Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat: running, lifting, boxing
    Tues: bjj, wrestling
    Thu: muay thai
    Sun: MMA
    Everyday: college

I'm really tired

13. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

going well, pretty much exactly as planned

14. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Time for you to share some knowledge :)

15. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

Just fucked up my foot sparring on Friday, I'm supposed to fight this coming Friday. We'll see. Other than that training has been going great. I've been pretty much injury free except a few minor ones here and there since I started training to fight again back in January.

16. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Training at 2 dojos for judo, my home branch (Nakashima) and an ultra competitive dojo (burnaby dojo). Im training 8 hours a week, but i'm also running a lot and doing simple lifting. Nothing too severe, but I've been picking up some injuries. My standup in Judo's getting better, but newaza is where i usually dominate people. I need to pick up some sub wrestling / bjj lessons along the way.

17. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Been taking it easy since getting my tonsils out. I don't feel like I have all of my energy yet. I did a couple of light one round sparring and bag work at home for 15mins at a time.

18. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

been focusing more on my submission grappling than anything else for the past couple weeks. i feel broken everyday when i wake up, its either my shoulder, my elbow, or something random and new.
    my lifts have been going down in everything as well, im thinking of taking a mass gainer, i just cant eat enough calories the way i eat

19. AK-47

AK-47 Banned

just got back from knee injury and even though my conditioning is fucking gone i feel like i got alot better even though i haven't been doing any bjj. The day i got back i rolled with a blue and i was giving him a hard time, almost got him in a triangle, then an armbar and he rolled out of an umapalata. He ended up getting me in a bicep crusher :o , we rolled for about 15 minutes before he subbed me and i had to sit out for the rest of the class because i was fucking exhausted

20. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

ak47: that's fuckin badass dude! im thinking bout taking a break, just so my body and mind can rest up. Tournament season is just around the corner!!!