A&P How's this look?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jazz, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

I'm thinking of getting a bit more serious about photography and I'm looking at taking some photography classes this fall. Last summer I played around with a friends older Canon and learned alot from him so I was looking at buying a 35mm SLR, but it turns out my little digital point and shoot is having issues turning off randomly and then refusing to turn back on for a bit. So I was thinking of putting an extra $700-$800 into it and getting an entry level DSLR.

How does this package look for a starter setup (probably buying in the late July/early August range):

Nikon D70 body:
    http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=13129502&catTemplate=13001422&cmCat=SEARCH

Nikon 50mm f/1.8:
    http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=30388&topCategory=&cat1=1022&cat2=915144

Nikon 28mm f/2.8:
    http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=30431&topCategory=&cat1=1022&cat2=915144

2. redna

redna New Member

Well I just got the same camera with the kit lense (18-70) and a telephoto lense(70-300) and a High Speed CF card, 1 year no questions warranty, and some misc odds and ends for 2045.91 from Ritz.

I dont regret it at all... this camera is the shit.

3. Jazz

I'm not really feeling an F3.5 18-70mm lens that comes with the kit and I don't really need a telephoto (nor can I afford anything very nice) but I do agree...the camera is looking very nice :big grin:

4. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

I was going to buy my Rebel from Ritz... but I realized that the warranty is not good in canada if you do that. So I took the prices they were going to give me, and got a local camera store to (damn near) match it. They were only out about 2% before tax.

5. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

Actually, so long as you got "USA" goods, it is the exact same thing as buying in Canada, no warranty difference.

The warranty card, for anything imported by Canon Canada, or Canon USA, states that the warranty is good for use in either country.

Canon also warrants "grey" goods as well, for 1 year if you have your original bill.

V

6. Jazz

Hmm, so you think if I took this to someone local they'd knock off the shipping, add PST and give me the same price?

[​IMG]

Even if they only come close, that sounds pretty appealing.

Damn that's alot of money :(

7. Vilnius

Vilnius Bruised, battered, and scarred but hard. OT Supporter

Unfortunately, I've only dealt with Canon, I don't know if the guys I deal through have the same "wiggle" room on price for Nikon, but you could ask none the less. :x:

PM me, and I'll give you some good reputable contacts.

V

8. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

i didn't even print it out. i just wrote it down, and took it in, and they came very close to matching it... and i got to walk home with it, rather than wait for it to ship.

9. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

whats that in USD?

:o