How's this for a new computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jazz, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

This is for my sister. She lives about 4 hours away so I'm not going to build her one and there's no way she'd do that on her own, so I figured Dell would be a good solution. I have this below sitting in the cart for $1558 shipped (~$1150 US I think). No intense gaming or overclocking to be done. Just want something reliable for standard college use and not out of date in 2 years. I don't know what kind of mobo is included, but it looks like it might be an intel which should be good for reliability if overclocking isn't a concern :dunno:

[font=arial,sans-serif]Dimension 4600[/font]

[font=arial,sans-serif][font=arial,sans-serif]Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition - English[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,sans-serif]Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor at 2.40GHz w/ 800MHz FSB & HT Technology
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz[/font]
    [font=arial,sans-serif]128MB DDR ATI RADEON™ 9800 Graphics Card with TV-Out and DVI
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]Dell 19" M992 (18.0" V.I.S., .24dp) Monitor[/font]
    [font=arial,sans-serif]Dell Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Solution[/font]
    [font=arial,sans-serif]80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]64MB Dell USB Memory Key and Floppy Drive
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]56K PCI Telephony Modem
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]16X DVD ROM Drive[/font]
    [font=arial,sans-serif]48x CD-RW Drive with Roxio's Easy CD Creator®
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Digital Sound Card with Dolby Digital 5.1 capability
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]Harman Kardon® HK-395 Speakers with Subwoofer
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]WordPerfect® Productivity Pack with Quicken New User Edition
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]Dell Security Center by McAfee with VirusScan Online, Firewall and Privacy (412-0331)
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]Dell Jukebox powered by MUSICMATCH
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]Dell Picture Studio, Image Expert Standard
    [/font][font=arial,sans-serif]1 Yr Ltd. Warranty, 1 Yr In-Home/On-Site Service, 24x7 Phone Hardware Tech Support, 365 days a year[/font]

Is more than a 1 year warranty useful on a desktop...I might think about it for a laptop, but I don't know about a desktop system.

This is about her price ceiling although I have the option of dropping the Radeon 9800 in favour of the 128MB FX 5200 and then adding a DVD+R/+RW without changing the price much.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Great system.. forget the extended warranty.

You may be able to find something similiar from Dell, only cheaper on eBay.

3. JimboJones

JimboJones Guest

If she's not into gaming, then why the Radeon 9800?
    Drop down at least to a 9600 because she won't be using
    the horsepower of that 9800.

4. MP

MP New Member

does she need a $1500 dell computer? You could probably get her a $500 one and she wouldn't be able to see any difference unless she's playing graphic intense games, or rendering shit.

5. LudeRacer411

LudeRacer411 Guest

if you're not in a rush to get it, try waiting for a good deal here...

http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php

just the other day they posted this up:
    DellSB - Loaded Dimension 4600 with P4 2.6Ghz, 512MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB HD, 4x DVD+R/RW, 17" CRT Monitor, 64MB GF4MX for $894 with FREE Shipping

HTH